Rooster behavior

ManyFluffyButts

In the Brooder
Jun 21, 2022
When is a rooster protecting its flock an ok thing? Should the rooster get a little aggressive if it thinks one of the hens is in danger. I have a coronation Sussex that just came at me after I was trying to shoo away the hens from my flowers. I was making a lot of noise and jogging at them. We tangled a bit and he got kicked and now if keeping his distance. Should I let this go or what should I do. I have a 4 year old that runs in the yard. They are free range and he has never done this before.

With a 4 year old child and the chickens all in the same place, he needs to go immediately. He will attack the child at head level, possibly knocking him down, his feet and beak can leave vicious scratches.

The rooster has given you his warning that he is becoming aggressive
. Most inexperienced people vastly underestimate the violence of an attack. They often times try to make excuses for the aggressive behavior. He may back off from you for a while, but he will be watching your child to get a lick in, and more than likely he will attack you again.

Most 4 year olds do run around, that is normal, natural, and healthy behavior, the very behavior that triggered his attack.

If you have kids visit your house, you could be liable for an attack.

I just cannot emphasize enough, that the rooster needs to be contained immediately and culled in whatever way you can do it.

Mrs K

With a 4 year old child and the chickens all in the same place, he needs to go immediately. He will attack the child at head level, possibly knocking him down, his feet and beak can leave vicious scratches.

This.

A young child and free-ranging cockerels/roosters is an injury, even a serious and permanent maiming, waiting to happen.

I do not allow my grandchildren into the chicken run. They need their eyes.

Once you offer a foot, then they think it is go time. I have trained my roosters, that anytime they are near me they get picked up. Soon they don't come near or they want to be picked up. Using a foot, or a broom promotes bad behavior in a chicken. Never show fear walk with purpose and if they pretend to eat around you they will attack soon, pick them up instead or try to.

Yes watch your kids, too, 4 year olds are innocent, and may get attacked for being short. Keep an eye on them, but a 10-12 year old may be trying to get a rooster to chase him for fun, then YOU will blame the rooster. Know what your kids are doing and discourage this behavior in you children.

I have quarantined him with his 6 hens in the run. I have another rooster who doesn’t care much for people and keeps away. He has his 3 free ranging. We just curled a rooster a couple days ago for this same issue. Thank you for confirming what must be done. He will remain locked in chicken jail for a while until I can figure out what to do.

Once you offer a foot, then they think it is go time. I have trained my roosters, that anytime they are near me they get picked up. Soon they don't come near or they want to be picked up. Using a foot, or a broom promotes bad behavior in a chicken. Never show fear walk with purpose and if they pretend to eat around you they will attack soon, pick them up instead or try to.
I agree. This behavior can be corrected. Remember you ARE part of the pecking order. I have a rooster. I didn't expect one but here he is. I did a lot of research and just decided that wasn't going to treat him any differently than any of the girls. He gets picked up and snuggled. If he doesn't want to be picked up he stays away much like gimmie birdies said. My kids are in the run with him all the time. He gets hand fed every once and a while and will come to me when he hears his favorite bag of treats. I just decided I was going to do my best to have a nice rooster because he was here. And so far so good. Bunch of kids in the run and he was sweet. The 4 year old needs supervision but try a little hand feeding and gain some trust. But no mean am I saying put that child or yourself in danger. Gain the trust yourself and move on from there. It's worth a try.

Back
Top Bottom