Rooster behavior

ManyFluffyButts

In the Brooder
Jun 21, 2022
When is a rooster protecting its flock an ok thing? Should the rooster get a little aggressive if it thinks one of the hens is in danger. I have a coronation Sussex that just came at me after I was trying to shoo away the hens from my flowers. I was making a lot of noise and jogging at them. We tangled a bit and he got kicked and now if keeping his distance. Should I let this go or what should I do. I have a 4 year old that runs in the yard. They are free range and he has never done this before.

With a 4 year old child and the chickens all in the same place, he needs to go immediately. He will attack the child at head level, possibly knocking him down, his feet and beak can leave vicious scratches.

The rooster has given you his warning that he is becoming aggressive
. Most inexperienced people vastly underestimate the violence of an attack. They often times try to make excuses for the aggressive behavior. He may back off from you for a while, but he will be watching your child to get a lick in, and more than likely he will attack you again.

Most 4 year olds do run around, that is normal, natural, and healthy behavior, the very behavior that triggered his attack.

If you have kids visit your house, you could be liable for an attack.

I just cannot emphasize enough, that the rooster needs to be contained immediately and culled in whatever way you can do it.

Mrs K

Remember you ARE part of the pecking order.

No, I am NOT part of the pecking order. :)

I am The Giant Who Brings Food. I do not want the birds treating me like another bird. I want them to treat me like a horse or a cow or some other irresistible force of nature that has nothing to do with chicken society.

@Missyschick - I am making several assumptions, and maybe I am wrong, and if so I will apologize most humbly, in fact I have debated continuing this conversation, because I am afraid it may come across as aggressive and less than friendly...but I do not want the OP to risk that 4 year old child.

I see you joined in 22, and
Haha not looking forward to that part. There will be lots of explaining to do in my house. :lau
implies to me that perhaps your rooster has not become sexually active. Based on that I am assuming that this is your first rooster, and that he is young.

If that is the case, do know that this forum is filled with stories where the darling becomes the nightmare. With young roosters, today's behavior is no indicator of tomorrows behavior. Most inexperienced people think that if they treat roosters like puppies and kittens they will have a fantastic rooster...until they don't.

I am not an evil person that just wants to kill all roosters and not give them a chance. I love having chickens and have had them for more than 20 years. I have had over 8 full grown roosters and numerous cockerels. Some roosters are great - see the story on Bye, some are so so, and some are viciously aggressive.

If I have misconstrued this, I heartfully apologize.

To the original poster, please keep the cockerel locked up until you get him out of your little Child's life.

Mrs K

With a 4 year old child and the chickens all in the same place, he needs to go immediately. He will attack the child at head level, possibly knocking him down, his feet and beak can leave vicious scratches.

This.

A young child and free-ranging cockerels/roosters is an injury, even a serious and permanent maiming, waiting to happen.

I do not allow my grandchildren into the chicken run. They need their eyes.

Missyschix13 - I think you got lucky, there are nice roosters, and you got one. Luck of the draw. I do not think how you have acted or treated him had much to do with it. Some are nice, and some are not. Do be aware with your kids, cause they really cannot be depended on and sometimes change later on.

But this rooster has shown aggression already, and it did not sound like he was a bluff. I would be very nervous with a 4 year old child and this rooster.

Mrs. K

Once you offer a foot, then they think it is go time. I have trained my roosters, that anytime they are near me they get picked up. Soon they don't come near or they want to be picked up. Using a foot, or a broom promotes bad behavior in a chicken. Never show fear walk with purpose and if they pretend to eat around you they will attack soon, pick them up instead or try to.
I booted mine a few times. He soon learned to jump back. One day he put a spur to me, so I shot him on the spot. This behavior won't stop. I'm 6' 4", 240 lbs. If he doesn't care about me, he won't care about a small child.

Back
Top Bottom