Rooster behavior

I would not have any rooster, no matter how good tempered, roaming a yard that has young children. I always confine mine to the run when children or adults, are visiting.
That said, I have had a rooster come at me and even bite me, when I caught an injured hen. We came to an understanding, and he never did that again. I'm not sorry that he is still living, he is a very good rooster.

Once you offer a foot, then they think it is go time. I have trained my roosters, that anytime they are near me they get picked up. Soon they don't come near or they want to be picked up. Using a foot, or a broom promotes bad behavior in a chicken. Never show fear walk with purpose and if they pretend to eat around you they will attack soon, pick them up instead or try to.

Let me pile on and just say Nope.
When can a Rooster protect his hens? From a predator.
When can they make mistakes being too territorial? With another Rooster, within reason.

He knows who you are. You're the one that feeds them. He wasn't being protective, he was being territorial.
He said "Mine, mine! Bigger than you!"
You say "Dead."

When is a rooster protecting its flock an ok thing? Should the rooster get a little aggressive if it thinks one of the hens is in danger. I have a coronation Sussex that just came at me after I was trying to shoo away the hens from my flowers. I was making a lot of noise and jogging at them. We tangled a bit and he got kicked and now if keeping his distance. Should I let this go or what should I do. I have a 4 year old that runs in the yard. They are free range and he has never done this before.
Roosters get a bad rap and are often culled needlessly, their behavior towards people is often due to the chicken keeper. Roosters are naturally protective of their flock, that's what they do....it's a natural calling. An owner has to establish trust with the rooster. From the time they are cockerels, you need to show them you are important and trustworthy. Hand feed roosters a treat every day to get them to realize you are a safe friend. When they feel comfortable eating from your hand then start to pet them. At night go out to the coop every evening when they are roosting and talk to the rooster, give him some friendly pats or rub his comb and say good night. He will come to like you just like a pet dog. You will become a member of the flock and he'll leave you alone. Never show any fear around your rooster, even if you're not sure about his behavior, rather..... walk behind him shooing him in front of you so he knows you are the boss. As far as little children in a rooster's territory, I would not advise it. They get agitated seeing small people running. If you do allow a small child in his area, take a garden rake as protection to stop any attack if he comes at the child. Don't blame the rooster, he does not know the child well, he trusts you but anyone else the old urge to protect his hens will take charge of his head. Never be mean to a rooster who is protecting his flock, if you do that he will lose trust in you. Remember roosters are born with a job to do and a good one will protect his hens to the death from predators on the ground, and he will always watch the sky for predators in the sky. He will feed his hens and show them where tasty food is. He will break up fights among the hens, he'll make sure they have nice nest boxes, etc. Just have some patience with roosters. :)

I am not a flock member, I am the giant who brings food!!!
Idiots who spend their time stalking and attacking humans need to be gone. while they are concentrating on humans, they aren't watching out for actual dangers to their flock, or doing anything else constructive.
The fighting bird folks have shown that roosters can be human friendly and bird aggressive. Apparently separate behaviors genetically. So, the roosters who stay here pay attention to their flockmates, and stay out of my path.
I do agree that small screaming children are not helpful! That's something for their parents to manage...
Our roosters also don't attack the horses or cattle they contact when free ranging, obviously not considering them anything to worry about. The same should apply to humans in their path.
Mary

When he starts the dancing and tidbitting, walk right through his space. Don't act like you're angry at him or anything, just detached "I'm going over there now, you happen to be in my path.".

*Nods*

Pick up a bucket or whatever piece of loose equipment happens to be handy and walk through his space just as you would usually do when moving stuff around for ordinary purposes.

If it seems necessary, leave extra buckets, tools, etc. in various places just for you to pick up and move in this situation.

Don't make it seem like you're reacting to him. Just like you're doing Giant-Who-Brings-Food things for your own purposes that are too grand and mysterious for a chicken to comprehend. ;)

How old is this guy? Sorry, don't remember this whole thread...
I want my cockerels and roosters to avoid my space, never tidbit me, or do more than watch when I'm handling a hen in the flock. I am The Queen, not to be confused with a flock member to be pushed around. Cockerels or rooster who develop too much interest in me, given that I never hand feed them, bear watching, because once in a while this develops into 'attack bird' behavior, as they get braver, and decide to take me on.
If small children were involved, sooner is better than later to invite that bird to dinner.
Mary

With a 4 year old child and the chickens all in the same place, he needs to go immediately. He will attack the child at head level, possibly knocking him down, his feet and beak can leave vicious scratches.

The rooster has given you his warning that he is becoming aggressive
. Most inexperienced people vastly underestimate the violence of an attack. They often times try to make excuses for the aggressive behavior. He may back off from you for a while, but he will be watching your child to get a lick in, and more than likely he will attack you again.

Most 4 year olds do run around, that is normal, natural, and healthy behavior, the very behavior that triggered his attack.

If you have kids visit your house, you could be liable for an attack.

I just cannot emphasize enough, that the rooster needs to be contained immediately and culled in whatever way you can do it.

Mrs K
this is an accurate comment couldn't write it better myself

No, I am NOT part of the pecking order. :)

I am The Giant Who Brings Food. I do not want the birds treating me like another bird. I want them to treat me like a horse or a cow or some other irresistible force of nature that has nothing to do with chicken society.
Perhaps I misspoke but thats what meant. I'm in charge and bigger fall in line. :idunno

Back
Top Bottom