Rooster behavior

Once you offer a foot, then they think it is go time. I have trained my roosters, that anytime they are near me they get picked up. Soon they don't come near or they want to be picked up. Using a foot, or a broom promotes bad behavior in a chicken. Never show fear walk with purpose and if they pretend to eat around you they will attack soon, pick them up instead or try to.
Ok so your saying if the rooster pretends to eat around you they will attack soon!? I thought that behaviour was more for mating showing the hens food then doing the wing dance and mate? My new cockerel does the show food/ pretend eating with all humans, including me. Then sort of side skips /wing dance sometimes after that. Should I be worried he may attack?

Ok so your saying if the rooster pretends to eat around you they will attack soon!? I thought that behaviour was more for mating showing the hens food then doing the wing dance and mate? My new cockerel does the show food/ pretend eating with all humans, including me. Then sort of side skips /wing dance sometimes after that. Should I be worried he may attack?

I would keep an eye on that. With the hens, it's totally acceptable and normal. This is one of the ways roosters test the pecking order. He is saying "are you a potential hen in my flock? Can I breed you? I am not afraid of you."

If a rooster does not feel as though he needs to be afraid of you or at least pay attention to your personal bubble, he may get bold enough to go for you. When he starts the dancing and tidbitting, walk right through his space. Don't act like you're angry at him or anything, just detached "I'm going over there now, you happen to be in my path.".

Don't stop to watch him test the boundary, although I know it's entertaining and interesting to observe animal behavior. You can watch him do this with hens from afar.

When he starts the dancing and tidbitting, walk right through his space. Don't act like you're angry at him or anything, just detached "I'm going over there now, you happen to be in my path.".

*Nods*

Pick up a bucket or whatever piece of loose equipment happens to be handy and walk through his space just as you would usually do when moving stuff around for ordinary purposes.

If it seems necessary, leave extra buckets, tools, etc. in various places just for you to pick up and move in this situation.

Don't make it seem like you're reacting to him. Just like you're doing Giant-Who-Brings-Food things for your own purposes that are too grand and mysterious for a chicken to comprehend. ;)

*Nods*

Pick up a bucket or whatever piece of loose equipment happens to be handy and walk through his space just as you would usually do when moving stuff around for ordinary purposes.

If it seems necessary, leave extra buckets, tools, etc. in various places just for you to pick up and move in this situation.

Don't make it seem like you're reacting to him. Just like you're doing Giant-Who-Brings-Food things for your own purposes that are too grand and mysterious for a chicken to comprehend. ;)
I like the "pick up a tool" tip, I'll try that on the future! I'm roosterless at home until we get out of the suburbs, but before the HPAI started up I was at my parents weekly with the flocks over there.

Roosterless in Salem 😂

I would keep an eye on that. With the hens, it's totally acceptable and normal. This is one of the ways roosters test the pecking order. He is saying "are you a potential hen in my flock? Can I breed you? I am not afraid of you."

If a rooster does not feel as though he needs to be afraid of you or at least pay attention to your personal bubble, he may get bold enough to go for you. When he starts the dancing and tidbitting, walk right through his space. Don't act like you're angry at him or anything, just detached "I'm going over there now, you happen to be in my path.".

Don't stop to watch him test the boundary, although I know it's entertaining and interesting to observe animal behavior. You can watch him do this with hens from afar.
Is it ok to pat him or pick him up if he starts tidbitting?

He came from a home raised for 3 out of 4 months in their house so he may think humans are chickens 🤷
He started pecking my boot and sort of walking at me when I pick up a hen yesterday doing checks and haircuts.
he is just new to my flock and already seems like top boy position or equal with my 2 yr old rooster. They crow together too.
I have kids and he tidbits them, they pat him and he stops or walks away.

How old is this guy? Sorry, don't remember this whole thread...
I want my cockerels and roosters to avoid my space, never tidbit me, or do more than watch when I'm handling a hen in the flock. I am The Queen, not to be confused with a flock member to be pushed around. Cockerels or rooster who develop too much interest in me, given that I never hand feed them, bear watching, because once in a while this develops into 'attack bird' behavior, as they get braver, and decide to take me on.
If small children were involved, sooner is better than later to invite that bird to dinner.
Mary

One thing I've learned, their personalities are as varied as people. It doesn't even really matter what breed or how nice a Rooster's dad is either, you never know what you're gonna get. I've been blessed, raised 11 Roosters with love, various breeds, & 10 are lovebugs to this day. 1 "can" be a lovebug once he's on my lap.

2 other Roosters came my way already grown, treated them with love as well, but they never quite became Lovey, although they will gently take treats from me.

So the Roos that are just as loving & snuggly as can be with me, & they don't care for strangers but they just keep distance, no aggressive behavior at all towards humans.
My very 1st Roo, Rocky, raised him with love & he did get a lot of attention as he & his hen were the only 2 chicks in the beginning. He got quite ornery & spurred me a few times before I started picking him up immediately upon entering his space & carting him around under 1 arm, as I did the chores I needed to do 1 handed. I still have him, he has calmed down considerably as he's matured & he responds to me talking to him, saying hello Rocky & telling him I'm coming in to clean, etc. He mostly just watched me & even let me pet him, in fact, even in his grumpy 1st year of life, he still enjoyed lap time being fussed over, once I got ahold of him...go figure. He dislikes any strangers though & will chase & spur a stranger if they enter his space, particularly men. I have large predator proof pens though, so it's not like I have to worry about anyone running around my yard...that would be a totally different scenario I believe.

1 Roo, a rescue of a young cockerel dropped off, was never mean, just afriad. He likes treats but otherwise just avoids human contact. When I do have to catch him, to do a check over for health, mites, etc. he screams at 1st, poor dude, I have calm him down in a soothing voice & tell him it's OK, just checking you over buddy.

The only truly mean Roo I had, I got him at 6 mos. old. The 1st year he just avoided me. The 2nd year, suddenly he started attacking me. 😳 Who the heck knows why! I tried to continue to treat him kindly, but he started becoming aggressive. When he jumped up & kicked me in the face, leaving a puncture an inch from my eye, I decided a year of his being mean to me for no reason, was enough, & I rehomed him.

So, unless you've got the predator proof pens & can decide to put up with possible attitude & specific procedures prior to entering that section, I'd recommend rehoming or removing the trouble maker.

Another thing those trouble makers do...it's not just about their attitude, but also the attitudes of their hens responding to him. Hens get nervous, flighty & not so calm & sweet, & they can even take to pecking hard at you collecting the eggs, or other Roosters learning bad habits just from seeing him be a jerk. Once I removed Mr. Trouble, Everyone else calmed down & became significantly sweeter!

Best of luck with whatever you decide.

Last edited:
One of my Wyandottes does that & he's never attacked me, he sees me & gets excited about what I'm bringing (even just jugs of water). He does a little wing, side stepping, twinkle toe dance, then his hens come running to me, then they all stand there looking up at me, like OK whataya got for us mama? I think it depends upon an individual Rooster's personality. Harley sidestep dances when he's Happy. Now when Rocky sidestep dances, he's Not happy. 😆 🐓

Back
Top Bottom