Rooster behavior

Missyschix13 - I think you got lucky, there are nice roosters, and you got one. Luck of the draw. I do not think how you have acted or treated him had much to do with it. Some are nice, and some are not. Do be aware with your kids, cause they really cannot be depended on and sometimes change later on.

But this rooster has shown aggression already, and it did not sound like he was a bluff. I would be very nervous with a 4 year old child and this rooster.

Mrs. K

Let me pile on and just say Nope.
When can a Rooster protect his hens? From a predator.
When can they make mistakes being too territorial? With another Rooster, within reason.

He knows who you are. You're the one that feeds them. He wasn't being protective, he was being territorial.
He said "Mine, mine! Bigger than you!"
You say "Dead."

Missyschix13 - I think you got lucky, there are nice roosters, and you got one. Luck of the draw. I do not think how you have acted or treated him had much to do with it. Some are nice, and some are not. Do be aware with your kids, cause they really cannot be depended on and sometimes change later on.

But this rooster has shown aggression already, and it did not sound like he was a bluff. I would be very nervous with a 4 year old child and this rooster.

Mrs. K
I agree the 4 year needs to be protected. I'm not looking for an argument but I don't think it's entirely luck. I do feel that my actions played a roll, much like any other animal. The kids aren't allowed to chase any of the chickens and they all see my kids as a source of food. I was lucky in one way, and that was figuring out fairly early he was a roo and started gentling from that time forward. Any kid that enters my run gets ground rules before going in.
I agree everyone need to proceed with caution with this particular rooster. But I would hate to cull him without trying first but never at the risk of any child. He gets locked up until she decides to try or cull him. Call me crazy but it's just my opinion.

Remember you ARE part of the pecking order.

No, I am NOT part of the pecking order. :)

I am The Giant Who Brings Food. I do not want the birds treating me like another bird. I want them to treat me like a horse or a cow or some other irresistible force of nature that has nothing to do with chicken society.

No, I am NOT part of the pecking order. :)

I am The Giant Who Brings Food. I do not want the birds treating me like another bird. I want them to treat me like a horse or a cow or some other irresistible force of nature that has nothing to do with chicken society.
Perhaps I misspoke but thats what meant. I'm in charge and bigger fall in line. :idunno

Perhaps I misspoke but thats what meant. I'm in charge and bigger fall in line. :idunno

I don't try to dominate them, but I do move through them (even inventing unnecessary rearrangements of the coop and run furniture that will take me through the cockerels if I think they need a little reminder).

I don't try to dominate them, but I do move through them (even inventing unnecessary rearrangements of the coop and run furniture that will take me through the cockerels if I think they need a little reminder).
Totally agree :thumbsup when I'm in the run move about untouched. Except for my curious helper hen....who has to be right where I am and "helping". Lol

Totally agree :thumbsup when I'm in the run move about untouched. Except for my curious helper hen....who has to be right where I am and "helping". Lol

My hens are always underfoot -- to the point that I step on the Cochin's foot feathers from time to time.

In fact, I once stepped backwards onto Rameses's toes because I was opening a new bag of pellets and he came over to see what was going on.

I said, "Excuse me, but you're in the way." He has since given the muck boots a little wider berth. (He was fine because the bedding is thick and soft and I knew I was on his foot before I put my full weight down).

Excuse me, but you're in the way."
Haha I say this all the time! Or "thanks but I got this!" I haven't stepped on anyone....yet. but it's bound to happen. Lulu the helper hen has it written in her destiny! She's eager to go out in the morning before I put the ramp up and have almost squished her toes a few times. Learned I have to push her back first. Then she walks down the ramp right under me....zero fear that one. Lol

Haha I say this all the time! Or "thanks but I got this!" I haven't stepped on anyone....yet. but it's bound to happen. Lulu the helper hen has it written in her destiny! She's eager to go out in the morning before I put the ramp up and have almost squished her toes a few times. Learned I have to push her back first. Then she walks down the ramp right under me....zero fear that one. Lol

The only time I've ever pushed a rooster off a hen, Rameses was mating her right in the door of the coop while I was trying to carry the water out.

I shoved him off, pushing both out of my way, and said, "Get a room." Then I walked past as if nothing had happened so that they'd realize I didn't care if he mated (Ludwig, the senior male might have but I didn't), only that they weren't in my way. :D

(Actually, Ludwig didn't care. He'd stand there and watch like he was making sure Rameses did it right).

Back
Top Bottom