Rooster behavior

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by CKMom, May 18, 2010.

1. CKMom

CKMom Songster

May 23, 2009
    cooped up
    We have a beautiful EE rooster who is a yr. old. He has always been wary of me and clearly knows me as the boss lady.He has given attitude to my Dh and both kids by flapping his wings and coming towards them, but never shown any other aggression, and would prefer no one touch him. He has been a little rough with the hens and we are considering whether he should stay or become BBQ. Today when I went out to check on things, and they are all in the coop because it is rainy and miserable outside and the hens all come to the door to see me. He came over too, and even let me touch his neck without flying up and getting bent out of shape. Should I be worried about him, or is he just being nice today?

2. FrizzlesRule

FrizzlesRule Songster

Dec 22, 2009
    I would keep him. Sounds like a beautiful roo. Pick him up, hug him, make him a pet. It has worked for me with every roo I've ever had. [​IMG]

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

For me it would depend on how rough he gets with the hens, and whether he's actually ever tried to go after a person. Definitely have your kids be assertive anytime they're around him. Have them walk straight at him (not the hens), flapping their arms if needed...lol. And watch if you ever have really little kids over. He may get gentler with the hens as he ages and gets more experience, or he may not. You can get chicken saddles for them if he's wearing down their backs.

4. CKMom

CKMom Songster

May 23, 2009
    cooped up
    I'm not sure what we are going to do. He is a character and so far hasn't attacked anyone, just shown attitude. he pretty much tries to stay out of my way, but will come to me and nicely eat out of my hand if I have treats. I haven't been able to hold him in a long time, he acts like a firecracker has gone off under him if you so much as touch him or try to , which is why I was puzzled when he came over and accepted a neck rub. I watched him free range with the others the other day and he will avoid the kids and dog . All attitude was given after DH was filling the waterers in the coop, and DS tried to get him in early to close up the coop one night.he wants to do things when he wants to , not when you want him to, kind of like a 3 yr. old child.

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I agree. If he stays outta everybody's way I would keep him.
    He may have been more subdued because of the rain and I assume it was darker than normal due to the rain?
    I only handle my roo at night. If I try to handle him during the day he freaks, as he would if the alpha rooster was after him. Just easier on both of us if I do my necessary handling at night.

6. Kuntry Klucker

Kuntry Klucker Thekuntryklucker.blog

Jun 9, 2010
    Tennesee Smoky Mts.
    Like what you said Gritsar about handling your rooster at night. I was wondering why mine was so hard to catch during the day.
    He ran from me like he was running for his life. Maybe that was the issue, me coming after him trying to catch him was like
    the alpha rooster coming after him. I am glad that I ran across this post when I was reading through.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by