Rooster behavior

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sweetshoplady, Jul 8, 2008.

1. sweetshoplady

sweetshoplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Venice, Florida
    When my rooster sees something new and different, like a package of cable ties, a baseball cap, he puffs up and wants to attack it. And sometimes does attack the foreign object. Then once he knows what it is he seems ok and is not aggressive otherwise. I really like this rooster and he is really sweet toward me. He did chase my nephew - but he loves to be held and was extremely well behaved at the Pet Parade - even better than some of the dogs there.

Is this like my dog growling at the asparagus the first time he saw it?

2. raindrop

raindrop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2008
    Western Oregon
    Yes, he roosters have a "look big and tough and ask questions later" attitude when it comes to defending their hens. He is assuming that any new thing is potentially dangerous, which is a pretty typical reaction for a species that is below many other animals on the food chain.
    "Look, I'm big and scary, don't eat me......oh wait, you are not a threat.....okay, never mind."

A dog growling at an unfamiliar object also has a basis in fear/defense of territory/self.

3. queenofshopping7

queenofshopping7 New Egg

Mar 11, 2009
    I need help, my rooster is around 7 two 8 months old and for the first time he jumped on me with his feet about 5 times, I did kick him but it didn't work , I was afraid I would break his bones. Normally he is good and looking for me to bring a treat but not this morning, I was making noise putting feed bags in the holding container making noise, I don't know it that triggered his behavior or what. I just don't want him to start being bad. I did read where when they behave this way to catch them and hold them to show them who is the boss but that it is a learned thing and you may have to do this over and over until they get it. Is this true or does anyone have a better idea??? I did catch the last time he flew up and held him tightly he didn't try to get away but, he tried it again and my husband had gotten there and gave him a kick with the side of his foot not to hurt him but to send the message because he was going to try to get me again. I am the main one that takes care of them and spends time with them. I am new at chickens I have only had them for about 3 1/2 months. He does not have his spurs yet just nubs. My other question is can you have the spurs removed ? I was told by a local chicken man that you could put a hot potatoe on the spurs and it would make them come off is this true? Thanks for anyone who can give me some input !

4. jhm47

jhm47 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    The rooster is just showing his dominance over you. I would guess that 90% of the roosters that become problems like this were cuddled and handled a lot as chicks. This makes them imprint on humans, and they look upon people like flockmates.

It will be hard to break your rooster of his behavior, but it can be done. Just be sure to be the dominant one whenever you are around him. If you must handle him, do it in a dominating way. Don't cuddle, coo, and give him treats when you hold him. Hold him by his legs, upside down. If he persists in trying to hit you with his feet, give him a good kick. It would be quite hard to kick him hard enough to harm him. Another thing you might try is to carry a spray bottle of cold water, and if he becomes nasty, give him a few good squirts in the face.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by