1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster being Aggressive

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Blaknite, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Blaknite

Blaknite Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2013
    Illinois
    One of my Roosters, a beautiful 26 week old Lakenvelder named Cacciatore, has become aggressive to my spouce and I.

He randomly attacks me when I am in the yard, I'll be walking along and minding my own buisness and then he comes running up and if I am not fast enough with my cane he crashes into me with his claws and wings. He ruffles his neck feathers and stalks around me as though looking for an opening to attack. When I am in the yard I cant have my back to him because I dont know if he will decide to come at me or not. When he does come at me I usually deflect him with my cane or a stick and swat at his rump a few times. This seems to deture him until the next time I come into the yard.

He also hates being picked up, He is usually easy to catch but will do his best to wiggle free. Most of my birds are rather flighty some more so then others but they will tollerate being held to some degree.

Another thing I have found him doing is sitting outside the coop when one of my hens is trying to lay. The hen has slowed her production down since he has started this and yesterday she layed a flat sided egg.

The LAST thing I want to do is make cacciatore out of Cacciatore so I am looking for less meal ending options.

I am willing to try just about anything to get this bird to behave.

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I'm sorry to hear about your troubles. I went through a similar experience with a rooster I had years ago and it was very unpleasant. I ended up rehoming him, as I didn't have the heart to eat him, even if he was a pain! This article on rooster behaviour and dealing with aggressive roosters may help you:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/dealing-with-roosters-roo-behavior

Best of luck!

3. Blaknite

Blaknite Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2013
    Illinois
    Thanks I will have a read through and give the options a shot.

4. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    I try to show them who is boss and if they still act like jerks I either sell them or eat them for dinner. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by