Rooster being mean

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gypsyfarm123, Oct 17, 2011.

1. gypsyfarm123

gypsyfarm123 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2011
    south jersey
    The past couple morning's I've noticed when I let my chick's out in the morning (they all get locked in at night,and free range during the day) Well, the second I let them out and pour the feed in the dishes the rooster(a new hampshire red) start's getting REAL aggressive, knock's over the food and start's chasing the hen's around kicking them and basically being a jerk. I sat out there last night after locking them in their chicken coop (which is pretty cramped ATM,but I'm in the process of building them a bigger one) and all seem's well,no fighting, pecking etc. Its just when I let them out. They were all raised together and just about six month's old. So this morning when he started doing it,I chased HIM around and gave him a couple light slap's on the head:) but the hen's were running around after us, like they worship him or something. I never planned on getting a rooster,but the lady at the store I got them from said since I was going to free range them a rooster would help protect the hen's and wound up GiVing him to me. Now I have read that when a roo start's to do this early on, that I should kill it because he will only get worse..Well,I can't bring myself to kill ANYTHING, let alone something I raised by hand! I bought them as pet's and to keep the tick population down... Is there anything I can do to 'chill' him out? Separating them is not possible and it seem's NOBODY I know want's a rooster. Do I just keep wacking him in the head when he act's up? Do you think he'll get the point? I'm at a loss. Anybody want him? I'll pay shipping:) seriously.. <Craig

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Teenage "boys" have not learned the fine skill of wooing a female. They do calm down at some point. All my roos have done that every morning. I let them out and the roos just get all excited-I don't know why. I think it's a dominance thing. Hopefully he'll develop some manners soon.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    If he's not being aggressive to you, I'd let the birds all work it out for themselves. There've been many posts here on the increased testosterone behaviors of a roo first thing in the morning, it's just a natural thing and they'll get over it. The hens will submit to him or fight him off, depending, and everyone will get on with their day. He'll chill out after he covers a few hens [​IMG]

4. the3ofus+oursixchicks

the3ofus+oursixchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    alabama
    Quote:i did have 3 roosters and they were WILD in the mornings when i let them out. so what i did was let my roosters out for bout an hour to get their crazy stuff out and then i let the girls out. they were still a little crazy but not as bad. you could try that [​IMG]

5. corgiscatsandchickens

corgiscatsandchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2011
    Gallifrey
    My big, gentle boy is an idiot in the mornings, too. He's still a teenager, so I don't worry. He's gentle with me, so until and unless he starts acting stupid with me, I'm not doing anything. The MOMENT he's agressive with me, I'll clean his clock. He bullies the girls in the mornings, but theyre learning to deal with him. Rest of the day, he's a gentleman. If I were you, I'd give my girls a chance to get used to it.

Chickens are very different creatures. The things they do that look bloodthirsty to us are often perfectly normal in chicken society. Which is why when you read of us "beating up" our roosters, you usually shouldn't judge too harshly. Chickens are sweet, cuddly, inteligent, funny, and can be quite loving, *but* they speak a totally different language.

Remember: Your chickens came from a Spielberg movie, not a Disney movie. Don't think of them as the critters surrounding Snow White, think of them as Velociraptors. Nice, sweet, short cuddly velociraptors that you love very much. Keep that in mind and everything will be fine. [​IMG]

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Testosterone levels and libido are highest in the morning. He will mellow out somewhat as he matures.

7. gypsyfarm123

gypsyfarm123 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2011
    south jersey
    Thanks for the replies everyone. He has never been aggressive with me so I hope he doesn't hold a grudge for me giving him the couple 'wacks' in the head:) I think I'll do like 'the 3ofus' said and let him out first and see if that will work. (Guess its kinda like when I was a young boy throwing snowballs and teasing the girl's (to show them how much I LIKED them lol)

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Quote:You're getting close. I too remember those days. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

It's a morning thing.. My 1 year old rooster Steve is feisty in the morning. After 10am, he's as sweet as can be. Getting food for all the girls and protecting them <3 It's adorable..

Just don't let him do his territorial dance around you.. That could create some bad habits!

10. m_shuman

m_shuman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    Springfield, GA
    My roo does the same thing. He did try to chase me one morning. It was still dark out and I am giving him the benifit of the doubt and thinking he thought I was a predator. But eve so I pourposely squished his body/neck in the run door. He bocked a little and backed off and hasn't repeated the behavior with me. Now the girls on the other hand get a good chasing every morning. I do however have one smart EE that stays on the roost until he gets his friskies out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by