Rooster bite!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by stephennguyen13, Jan 26, 2013.

1. stephennguyen13

stephennguyen13 New Egg

Jul 18, 2012
    So my rooster is really aggressive. I let him out of the coop today and he bit me on my finger. I'm bleeding a bit. Is there any chance that I could have contracted any sort of disease? Please reply

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Wash it well, and apply some Neosporin or another antibacterial ointment. You will not contract a 'disease' from a rooster bite. Rooster sounds like a potential candidate for the soup pot.

3. Cknldy

Cknldy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2012
    Appalachian mtns
    Long sleeves and gloves. My roo got his name Mr. Peck after biting kids several times. He was hormonal and got to know the flat end of the hoe pretty well at first. Oldest daughter help him up a few times but it didn't stop the last attack that now keeps all kids from coop. I pretend not the to be afraid and recently started going around him without hoe after holding him on my lap and not releasing until he was fully calm. He thinks you're getting his ladies;-) Be brave around him or give away/ eat him. Clean wounds from him like any other wound. U can't get anything like rabies from a chicken

4. red chicken

red chicken New Egg

Feb 27, 2013
    i was bit by a friend's rooster last thursday..with in 2 days my cervical c-6 began hurting and feeling like it was swelling..i went to the doctor on friday to get a tetanus shot, as i was overdue and mentioned the neck pain..yesterday i began running a low grade 100.6 fever..the neck pain continues and i have ben iceing it but it gets worse as the day goes on..my doctor prescribed an antibiotic for me as there is a condition called strepto bacillius mailiformis that you can get from a rooster bite..it's very serious and can lead to a menigitis type condition, sometimes even fatal..

5. Flavum

Flavum Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2012

6. chycknFun

chycknFun Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2013
    Earth
    i got bit by my roo today this occurred under unusual circumstances, bite is kind of puffy, cleaned it with peroxide? How did this turn out for you? Should I get this looked at?

Bad day here. We had a bad ice storm where I live, trees were crashing down left and right. Loud pops smashes tree carnage everywhere.The storm really had the chickens and me freaked out. I left their coop open so they could get out if they needed to , they decided to walk toward the trees not away from them I moved my chickens one by one to a safe temporary location especially once I noticed there was a precarious tree limb hanging over their coop from a tree that had all ready split in two I felt the need to get them moved a.s.a.p

Later when the sun came out and melted much of the ice and the tree limb danger was gone I moved my freaked out chickens back to their coop. They were still wound up and vocal from all the goings on. While carying them I was trying really hard not to slip and fall.

Then it happened my roo bit me on my cheek. He can be spazy might kick or try to peck what ever i carry when I have food or I am carrying basically anything other than him, and usually when I carry him around he calms down let's me hold him as long as I want and has never ever bit me while I am holding him not until today. I am not taking it personally this day was like no other he or the girls have ever experienced. I'm just glad it wasn't my eye. :) :(

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I had a rooster do the same thing to me. While I was holding him, he stretched up and took a small chunk out of my cheek, shook his head like a bulldog and boy it hurt! I put alcohol on the wound (owww) and then neosporin, no problem.
    He turned out to be the best roo I've ever owned. He would fly up about 6 feet attacking low flying hawks in the yard and startle them off, saw him do it twice. You shouldve seen what he did to snakes!

8. chycknFun

chycknFun Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2013
    Earth
    I love my roo he's really a charming guy I know he was spooked by the storm and wouldnt ordinarily do that
    I just wanna make sure I won't end up with a chipmunk cheek or something ...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by