Rooster bleeding out through beak

ElizabethAdams

Chirping
May 18, 2022
My 6-month-old rooster has been fine all day and suddenly started hemmoraghing through his beak. He is gurgling and spitting up a lot of blood. No discharge from eyes or nose, comb is bright red, he's been playing around and living his best life all day. I'd appreciate some ideas of what to look for to keep the rest of the flock safe. I've isolated him in the house while my husband gets ready to dispatch him.

Is he eating drinking anything? Mushy wet chicken feed would get more fluids into him, and may be easier to eat. Sometimes I hide medicines in scrambled egg if he would take something like that. Do you think that he could have gotten his beak caught and injured in fencing or chicken wire? I hope that he survives with all of the blood loss. Poor guy. Keep us updated on his status.

It would be best to bring him inside, in the a/c to see if his panting decreases or stays the same.
You can give him the Nutri Drench once a day for no more than 5 days. Dont give him molasses, the Nutri Drench contains molasses. Molasses will cause diarrhea, that's why you dont give him the Nutri Drench for no more than 5 days.
Let us know if you see blood.

I'm glad to hear he's hanging in there.

I'd be sure to inspect him really well under his feathers for any punctures/injuries and of course inside the beak for injury as well.

His breathing is back to normal and no gurgling?

Can you get photos of the inside of his beak and a few of what he looks like now?
What's his crop like - is it emptying overnight?

You've gone over him very well, moving his feather and looking at his skin for any signs of punctures, injury and bruising?
Yes, we went over him and didn't find any punctures or cuts. Monday night was the first time since he was a chick that I've been able to hold him.
He wasn't eating more than a small handful a day while caged and looked sad, so this morning we let him back out with the flock. He seems happy so far and has been dust bathing and eating with the hens.
We rehomed the other young rooster who never showed any aggression (but is the suspected aggressor).
If I can get close enough to him I will snap some photos and update in the next few days.

Yes, we went over him and didn't find any punctures or cuts. Monday night was the first time since he was a chick that I've been able to hold him.
He wasn't eating more than a small handful a day while caged and looked sad, so this morning we let him back out with the flock. He seems happy so far and has been dust bathing and eating with the hens.
We rehomed the other young rooster who never showed any aggression (but is the suspected aggressor).
If I can get close enough to him I will snap some photos and update in the next few days.
What ended up happening with the rooster?

Back
Top Bottom