Rooster bleeding out through beak

ElizabethAdams

Chirping
May 18, 2022
My 6-month-old rooster has been fine all day and suddenly started hemmoraghing through his beak. He is gurgling and spitting up a lot of blood. No discharge from eyes or nose, comb is bright red, he's been playing around and living his best life all day. I'd appreciate some ideas of what to look for to keep the rest of the flock safe. I've isolated him in the house while my husband gets ready to dispatch him.

Photos?

How many rooster do you have?
Was he in a fight?

Does he have a broken beak?

Was he attacked?
I have a video I'll upload off my husband's phone. I work from home and spend most of the day near the chickens. No predator attacks and no fights. We do have another rooster, but they are hatchmates and we've never seen any aggression other than play. I would definitely know if they were fighting. He looks absolutely perfect except the blood. He has stopped bleeding from the mouth and is now standing up. Still breathing hard. We checked him gently and didn't find any external injuries. Since he's standing up, we are going to see if he makes it through the night.

Thank you, I will put electrolytes in his water right now. Should I bring him in the house? We put the cage on the porch because it is so hot here. If he's in shock maybe I should bring him in? It's 80 F in the house.

Back
Top Bottom