rooster booster or corid? Advice welcomed!

Jandsloch

Songster
Apr 3, 2019
Nw pa
Ok sorry for the long description and up comping post...here it goes... end of August I had what I believe was infectious bronchitis move through the flock. Lost 1 started treatment with terramyacin. Improved. Still a few sneezing etc. after several weeks I saw major improvement in egg production and health of the flock. Only a few sneezing here and there. I decided splitting them into w coops (1 we built not well I hammered big holes for ventilation extras as I believe this made them I’ll and 1 we bought from tsc) was no good.end of sept. I Cleaned out 10x10 shed and started process of converting into coop. Hubs out of town and I’m not allowed to use saw so pulled roost from yard into shed put bedding down etc. saw 1-2 eggs a day...I knew they would be stressed from the move. The following Saturday hubs home we worked until 1130pm putting in poop board and roosts all the while these poor chickens stressed even more with noise and unable to be in shed coop. Sunday we finished pop door and ramp to roosts. Phew give em a week or so and they will be de-stressed and lay regularly again. Fast forward to Friday....predator attack....lost 4 injuries to the rest of flock. Mostly feathers pulled with one cockerel having limp and wound. More stress! Next day lost another. She always flew out to lay next to house and then back in. She for some reason went around the back of property and when she flew into dog yard about to go back to her yard she got nabbed. More stress! Now it’s been 2 almost 3 weeks and I get 1 egg every other day. Still. No stress to flock giving scratch in the evenings I have daylight light bulb on a schedule on at 6am off at 8 pm. Scratch around 7pm to fill up and keep warm in the evenings. Temps are low have been getting frost.i have 1 particular girl whose lost color in comb and face and it seems her comb has shrunk. I dewormed them last week 5 day cycle with Panacur as they had runny poo....bad runny poo. It seems this girl is the only one with runny poo still. I put acv in water once a week I’ve given pumpkin and pumpkin seeds as well as other kitchen scraps as usual thinking she needed some extra boost.they have oyster shells free choice. On layer feed ( I do have chicks on chick feed 6 weeks old now)I forgot I had chicks in tsc coop for a few weeks see but don’t touch and integrated with flock Saturday. No one cared....a peck here and there but the 2 groups keep to their own. I have to add the chicks are brahmas so they are a bit big than average chicks. I know more stress. So this. O ring I found out how runny my girls poo really was. It was almost straight water. They had been up for an hour before I went to open door (it’s dark till after 7) but I did notice her pecking some food and last night she did eat scratch. She’s been eating and drinking along with everyone else. Crop didn’t seem to full this. Morning so I’m assuming not impacted crop. My thoughts are do I give whole flock corid for 5 days and seeing if this is the issue with her? Or do I give rooster booster thinking she needs extra vitamins etc.? Obviously the whole flock (aside from the every other day layer) is affected by stress and who knows what. Just trying to get a feel for some thoughts as to what do I do. I do have another girl with a paler comb but it’s not too pale...like a few shades lighter than her normal. I’m posting 2 pictures the one of stripes (really pale) from August before everything and one from this morning so y’all can see the difference I’m talking about. They are all under a year so I’m pretty sure they aren’t molting. But would her losing feathers cause her (and the others) to not lay such as if they were molting bc they are having to grow them back? Or is this something else. Thank you ahead of time for taking the time to read and respond.

Attachments

• 0E599A73-14DF-4ECF-9DF8-8FE6DFE5E72F.jpeg
    0E599A73-14DF-4ECF-9DF8-8FE6DFE5E72F.jpeg
    473.8 KB · Views: 48
  • 364D33EE-0EAA-4635-B59F-E22E122EFBDB.jpeg
    364D33EE-0EAA-4635-B59F-E22E122EFBDB.jpeg
    241.5 KB · Views: 10
I don't know about the one with diarrhea, but my girls have already quit laying for the winter. It's possible yours have as well. Their combs do shrink and get paler when they quit for winter. I see that you are supplementing light, but it may not be enough. I don't know how important getting eggs is for you, but after all those changes and stressors, if it were me, I'd forgo the extra light, and just let their bodies rest. You might consider switching to a higher protein food also, with oyster shell on the side. Good luck.

I don't know about the one with diarrhea, but my girls have already quit laying for the winter. It's possible yours have as well. Their combs do shrink and get paler when they quit for winter. I see that you are supplementing light, but it may not be enough. I don't know how important getting eggs is for you, but after all those changes and stressors, if it were me, I'd forgo the extra light, and just let their bodies rest. You might consider switching to a higher protein food also, with oyster shell on the side. Good luck.
Eggs are very important. Currently they don’t seem stressed. Going about their days as normal. 9 girls and only 1 egg every other day is crazy lol

Well it can take weeks to get back to laying after a stressful event, then add shorter days to the mix, I'm not surprised they aren't laying. You probably have to increase the light. I don't add light in winter, but what I've read is that they need about 14 hours a day. Also, it's best to increase the light in the am, and let them go to roost at sunset as normal.

6-8 is 14 hours. I get home around 7 and it’s just getting dusk. That’s y I give scratch at that time so they fill up and head up to roost befor the light shuts off. I thought about turning it on earlier however it has to stay on during day as we have no windows in yet. Spring project. We have lots of vents around the whole shed but not enough light get in ;) we will be changing our clocks back next weekend so I thought about having it come on earlier and off earlier. Was not wanting to play with it right now bc of all the stress. Plus they get scratch when I get home. Kiddos will never remember so it needs to stay on for that so they can fill up with yummys. I know it’s not necessary but there isn’t much goodness out there atm for them to forage for and since the predator I have not let them out of their yard. Not caught anything in traps either. I’ve read a lot on here about giving them scratch and or cracked corn to help keep warm in cold. Months so I figured I would start now since it’s getting colder and we can just add it right in to maybe help ease the stress. U don’t think corid or rooster booster would help?

Photos of the poop?

I would try the Poultry Cell first. Direct dose is 1cc per 3 pounds of weight.
Re-check her crop first thing in the morning to make sure it's empty.
Look her over for lice/mites and new feather growth (possible molting) while you are at it.

Hard to know what's going on, stress can surely make them go off lay.

Photos of the poop?

I would try the Poultry Cell first. Direct dose is 1cc per 3 pounds of weight.
Re-check her crop first thing in the morning to make sure it's empty.
Look her over for lice/mites and new feather growth (possible molting) while you are at it.

Hard to know what's going on, stress can surely make them go off lay.
No photo of the poop....it was so wet it slid off the ramp and into the straw down below must have been clear because it hit my Brahma and didn’t even leave a notice on him. In the poop litter it’s has been light brown. Didn’t look abnormal until this. Mornings clear slider poo. No lice or mites. I check my flock regularly. Yes she’s growing a few of her feathers that got pulled. But honestly it wasn’t a significant amount I only noticed when I checked everyone over after the attack and was pushing feathers aside. She had a penny sized bald spot atop where saddle feathers begin. What is poultry cell?

Omg I’m dense....rooster booster lmbo. That was my thought at first but then I read the cocci feed off the minerals etc, so I was like is that going to be an issue with severity if that’s what she has? So that’s y I turned here. Thought do I just do corid and feed some snacks with extra vitamin such as berries? Or do I do rooster booster and see what happens. My brain goes a mile a minute so I apologize for 101 scenarios

She seems to be better more active. I have another who has suddenly gone pale etc. she wasn’t eating Friday however this morning she gobbled up some scratch I put down for her. Rooster booster going in all thervwaterers today

Back
Top Bottom