rooster booster poultry cell??

luckydux

Chirping
7 Years
Oct 18, 2012
ARKANSAWWW!!
Is it possible or plausible to just add it to water? I admit I didnt quite know what I had bought until I got home with it...just read on the bottle at the store that its for roosters. Its really not feasible for me to administer it orally.

Off subject a bit...I have several roosters that are swaying their heads back and forth and im trying to troubleshoot the cause. I cant seem to find much for credible data as to why they do this so im flying by my pants so to speak for a remedy. I'll add that I have many birds but not once have I seen a hen do this. Some roos will do it every few seconds and have been for months!

According to the manufacturer, you can mix this stuff into the feed as well...

http://www.jefferspet.com/images/label/0026690.htm

Scroll down to the bottom and it says you can mix it in feed.

There are probably other products out there that do not need to be injected that might do the trick just as well. I have deal with a few birds with neurological disorders and it is possible your birds are missing needed minerals that are causing the swaying heads. I have helped a few of mine with lots of vitamins and minerals.

Good luck with your birds!

What I gather from the label and limited research is that it is for show birds and I presume that show birds are kept in isolation before shows and therefore it would be feasible to add the required amount to each individuals feed. Thats not my circumstance so adding it to the feed wouldn't work so well.

I'm of course not certain but I believe your correct in saying that they are missing something in their diet. Possibly too much of something since they eat layer feed. I do give them rooster boosters vitamin/electrolyte in their water and I've also started giving them calf manna. No difference so far.

I would continue to add supplements to the diet as it can not hurt. And it can take several months to make a difference. However, what ever your birds are suffering from, may not respond and improve from adding supplements, but it couldn't hurt.

Good luck with your birds. :)

What I gather from the label and limited research is that it is for show birds and I presume that show birds are kept in isolation before shows and therefore it would be feasible to add the required amount to each individuals feed. Thats not my circumstance so adding it to the feed wouldn't work so well.

I'm of course not certain but I believe your correct in saying that they are missing something in their diet. Possibly too much of something since they eat layer feed. I do give them rooster boosters vitamin/electrolyte in their water and I've also started giving them calf manna. No difference so far.

I know a lot of folks feed their roosters layer feed. And yet I know it's not good for roosters because it's way too much calcium for them (since they don't lay eggs). I don't know but possibly that's something to look into...would neurological symptoms be a result of excess calcium? When you say you have several roosters swaying their heads, what percentage of your roosters are doing this? 3 out of 12 or 15 out of 16?

Sorry for the delay..life!
The excess calcium is the only thing I could point to but I dont know too much about poultry feeds so that doesn't say much. Im not dedicated to any particular brand of feed so im always changing it up, which I think is beneficial.
As for percentages, I would say I know of at least 5 roos out of about 20. I saw a buckeye a couple days ago that looked as if he was dancing by himself...he was sorta walking backwards and had his head held low and was swinging it back and forth...quite comical! He was all by himself and oddly had no hens even remotely by his side, and seemed like it lasted for 7-8 seconds which is quite lengthy in my opinion. I've read of roosters doing that but it was the first I had witnessed.

What do you feed your roos?

Bump.

I have a pet rooster and would love to know if there's a supplement I can add to his food. He just came down with a mild case of bumblefoot, he only sleeps in his cage which gets changed every other day so obviously something is missing from his diet.

Bumble foot is like you or I having a planters wart or heel spur only in chickens the wart or injury on the sole or heel of the foot can also become infected..

A jerry rigged roost in his wire cage may prevent your rooster from further aggravating his foot injury which is what bumble foot really is.

After you ablate any infection including the "corn" or hard core at the center of your rooster's foot injury you may as well fix him up with a roost anyway because chickens have been sleeping with their toes wrapped around a tree limb since before the first chicken crossed the road just to prove to the armadillo that it could be done.
tongue.png

If they didn't enjoy sleeping in this fashion your chickens would stop doing so.

PM me ladydux if you want to learn more.

Last edited:
I just bought some Rooster Booster products for a lame young RIR pullet (starvation at place I got her from).

I looked at Poultry Cell and it says CLEARLY it is ONLY for mature roosters! Sounds to me it is a blood builder for roosters that may have happened to have gotten in a fight and lost a fair amount of blood (just like the Rooster Booster B12 with Vitamin K.....Vitamin K is good for blood clotting).

IMO those two products are obviously aimed at those that abuse animals and subject their birds to illegal cock fighting, the Rooster Booster B12 with Vitamin K is even illegal to purchase in a couple of states.

Having said that I bought some of the B12 (without Vit K) for a starved young pullet that I acquired. I would not use Poultry Cell as I strongly suspect it is for blood loss and the warning means it can have adverse reactions on some birds. Too much iron is one of the leading causes of poisoning deaths in children (that get into and eat a bunch of multivitamins), not sure about birds but it could be just as deadly.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom