Rooster boy constantly swallowing - help

Were you able to remove the hardened mucous?

You put only one drop on the nostril right? You can always just wet a qtip with the Peroxide and press it gently to the blockage to help soften the hardened material.
Reaction may be the fizzing, I don't know.

So he has crusty stuff in his ears too?

Were you able to remove the hardened mucous?

You put only one drop on the nostril right? You can always just wet a qtip with the Peroxide and press it gently to the blockage to help soften the hardened material.
Reaction may be the fizzing, I don't know.

So he has crusty stuff in his ears too?
20220214_165235.jpg

I'm still working on getting the hardened stuff off, as you can see it is nearly obstructing his nostril and is like cement. Peroxide doesn't seem to be eating through it much, but enough to be giving him some relief from headshakes and swallowing. I could possibly try some olive oil...?

Ears are actually pretty clear-looking, I couldn't get a photo one-handed as I held him, but the ear hole is open and there are just some really short, stiff feathers around the opening which I mistakenly thought were crust.

You could try putting a dab of coconut oil or mineral oil on there to see if that helps soften it. Most have found that they have to dab a drop of Peroxide, then dig a little. Put another drop, dig some more to loosen. It's a process.

It's good that his ears are clear.

Hopefully once you get the debris from his nostrils he will do much better.

New issues: broken or missing neck feathers, bald spots on neck/shoulders area, also prominent oil gland on tail - almost like he is over grooming himself. I see no signs of mites and assume these are issues related to the swallowing/head shaking and/or throat discomfort. Also another pic of him standing there swallowing today which doesn't seem to have abated much.

Very frustrating. I haven't tried much for a crop problem other than given him coconut oil, AVC and made sure its emptying overnight. I'd really like to help him but not sure what else to try.

Attachments

• 20220224_144245.jpg
    20220224_144245.jpg
    350.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220224_144231.jpg
    20220224_144231.jpg
    383.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 20220224_144147.jpg
    20220224_144147.jpg
    397 KB · Views: 2
  • 20220224_145409.jpg
    20220224_145409.jpg
    523.3 KB · Views: 3
Yes, they have dust bath with sand and topsoil mix, but he doesn't seem to use it much at all. Oil gland shown in photos, the feathers around it seem sparser and missing more so than normal. Could any of this be associated with the excessive swallowing?

Attachments

• 20220224_152159.jpg
    20220224_152159.jpg
    814.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 20220224_152119.jpg
    20220224_152119.jpg
    322.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 20220224_152053.jpg
    20220224_152053.jpg
    322.9 KB · Views: 5
His feathers look ragged like he beginning a molt.
I hope that's all it is! The feathers never seemed this raggedy and broken before, but then again the swallowing definitely has me watching his body conditions closer than normal. I may not have noticed poor quality feathers in previous molts.

If he still has a hard crust blocking his nostrils.

This what I did when my rooster had the blockage.

I got a cup, put really warm water in it, grab a couple of cotton swab, and a tweezer or a dental scrapper.

I dipped the tip of the swab in the really warm water, then press against the cup to remove some of the water off the tip. Then placed it on the blockage for a minute holding it in place. Then used a dental scrapper to scratch off a little bit of it. I repeated the process till it was all clean.

If he still has a hard crust blocking his nostrils.

This what I did when my rooster had the blockage.

I got a cup, put really warm water in it, grab a couple of cotton swab, and a tweezer or a dental scrapper.

I dipped the tip of the swab in the really warm water, then press against the cup to remove some of the water off the tip. Then placed it on the blockage for a minute holding it in place. Then used a dental scrapper to scratch off a little bit of it. I repeated the process till it was all clean.
Thanks for that, I've been gradually working at carving that stuff out without upsetting him too much. The warm wet qtip has seemed to work well. I didn't think to use a dental scraper, but a toothpick helped a lot.

At the time I thought, some people are out training for the Olympics, but I'm here finessing boogers out of a chicken's nostril with a toothpick. 😆

Back
Top Bottom