Rooster boy constantly swallowing - help

Giving a teaspoon of coconut oil won't hurt anything.
Put it in the fridge to harden it up, break it into small pieces and let him eat it. My birds love coconut oil.

You may want to look inside his ears just to rule out ear infection and take another look inside the beak for obstruction or yellow/white pasty material as well.

Keep us posted and let us know if he improves once you add more ventilation.
Here is a close up of his ear. I'm no expert so if you see anything that looks off please let me know.
@Eggcessive sorry I forgot to state that yes, they have granite grit available 😁

Attachments

• 20220207_201654.jpg
    20220207_201654.jpg
    402.5 KB · Views: 5
Ok, now my hen is beginning to exhibit similar behaviors 😩

I brought them in the house to observe, and caught the following two videos where my rooster sets a new record of swallows, shaking, scratching, picking at her, she picks at him, etc.

Could this possibly be some mite I can't detect?? Errgh

Were you able to remove the hardened mucous?

You put only one drop on the nostril right? You can always just wet a qtip with the Peroxide and press it gently to the blockage to help soften the hardened material.
Reaction may be the fizzing, I don't know.

So he has crusty stuff in his ears too?

New issues: broken or missing neck feathers, bald spots on neck/shoulders area, also prominent oil gland on tail - almost like he is over grooming himself. I see no signs of mites and assume these are issues related to the swallowing/head shaking and/or throat discomfort. Also another pic of him standing there swallowing today which doesn't seem to have abated much.

Very frustrating. I haven't tried much for a crop problem other than given him coconut oil, AVC and made sure its emptying overnight. I'd really like to help him but not sure what else to try.

Attachments

• 20220224_144245.jpg
    20220224_144245.jpg
    350.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220224_144231.jpg
    20220224_144231.jpg
    383.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 20220224_144147.jpg
    20220224_144147.jpg
    397 KB · Views: 2
  • 20220224_145409.jpg
    20220224_145409.jpg
    523.3 KB · Views: 3
His feathers look ragged like he beginning a molt.
I hope that's all it is! The feathers never seemed this raggedy and broken before, but then again the swallowing definitely has me watching his body conditions closer than normal. I may not have noticed poor quality feathers in previous molts.

After closely watching today, I believe a hen may be "overgrooming" the rooster's head and neck area so his feathers are getting stripped and tattered. At least it may not be related to the swallowing issue. Has anyone had success in stopping this behavior, and how?

Sorry this has been continuous, I do appreciate all of the help.

Still dealing with this issue despite adding ventilation and clearing his nose of debris. Could a possible crop issue be ongoing for this long extended period of time (about 6mo now)?

Picked him up today when he was head shaking and swallowing and his crop seemed pretty hard. Will monitor overnight. However, if this is a persistent crop issue, what can I do to treat and eradicate? I've read many things, including coconut oil, mineral oil, dulcolax, yeast infection creams...none of which I'm sure how to administer without choking him.

Back
Top Bottom