Rooster breed recommendations

I think it is more important to asses the cockerels as they are coming into 6 months than to go by breed. You are looking for these traits - know that you probably are not going to get all of them, unless you get Bye - who was ugly as sin and a perfect rooster,

• The first bird to see you as you approach.
  • When they are out and about, he should be looking around, aware of his surroundings.
  • He should casually move away from you giving you respectful space.
  • He will move his ladies away from you too, but calmly.
  • He should tidbit, call them over, wing dance
  • He should breed without a feather out of place - this is not a deal breaker, but it is sweet.
  • The girls should adore him, hang on his every cluck.
  • The girls should not squabble but be at peace
He should NOT
  • sneak around behind you
  • get up on something to be bigger
  • crow constantly when you come to the coop
  • should not flare up at you and flap his wings hard
  • should not give the stink eye
  • should not flog you
A couple of years ago, I raised up a mutt in my flock- he was never suppose to be a flock master - Bye was ugly as sin, but he kept getting the Bye. He passed the grandchildren test, (even the 3 year old screaming he was so mad he was getting left). He passed the baby chick test, they loved him. His girls were calm and happy and adored him. He had a beautiful crow, crowed mostly in the morning. Not obnoxious with it.

I seldom get real attached to a bird, but it was a sad day, when he came back to the coop, badly beaten up- coyotes had decimated my flock, 3 hens lived, Bye died the next day.

A good rooster, is not a given, they are just a gift from the Gods. You generally get an OK rooster, but once in a while...
Someone should make this a sticky.

I love my Orpington, Harold, although his lieutenant, Obi Wan, who is a true black Ameraucana, is a close second. I had a pool of about 18 cockerels to choose from, and those two were the only ones to pass the Not an Asshole test. They're calm, respectful, alert, attentive to the hens, and they give my toddler a wide and judicious berth. Best roos, and they throw pretty babies to boot.

In the picture, Harold is in the background behind camera hog Obi-Wan

Attachments

• 20231119_112011.jpg
    20231119_112011.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 9
I love my Orpington, Harold, although his lieutenant, Obi Wan, who is a true black Ameraucana, is a close second. I had a pool of about 18 cockerels to choose from, and those two were the only ones to pass the Not an Asshole test. They're calm, respectful, alert, attentive to the hens, and they give my toddler a wide and judicious berth. Best roos, and they throw pretty babies to boot.

In the picture, Harold is in the background behind camera hog Obi-Wan
Wow beautiful boys😍😍

Back
Top Bottom