Rooster breed?

Huehueboy

Chirping
9 Years
May 7, 2012
Southern Utah
So I found this rooster in our cicken run a week ago, anyone know what breed he would be?

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. X2 on junebuggena; you have a Brown Leghorn hen. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your new hen.

Wow, I would of thought rooster due to the comb. Most pictures show a large comb such as this one. no wonder why I haven't heard a crow yet... great Thanks.

Hens get big combs when they are ready to lay eggs. It may take her a few weeks to feel comfortable enough to start laying. But when she does laying for you, she will be a consistent producer of medium to large sized white eggs.

There is no way to tell an adult bird's age just by looking at it. When they are still growing and developing you can more or less estimate a bird's age, but once they are matured there really isn't any way to tell. Leghorns are pretty good producers for the first few years. After that, production starts to slow. If you only get 3 or 4 eggs a week, then she's probably over 3 years. If you only get one or two a week, then she's probably 4 or 5.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom