Rooster Breed

I'm sorry what does ack stand for?

I think they may be referring to the fact that someone put a strange chicken into your chicken pen with out your knowledge or consent.

Most poultry owners practice strict biosecurity. It is good practice to quarantine new birds for a minimum of 30days, some people even longer. This is to insure the new chicken isn't carrying in a new disease or diseases that your birds will catch. Most diseases are highly contagious and some quite nasty. If a chickens gets a certain disease they can be carriers for life and pass it to all other incoming birds that may enter a sick flock. This isn't to say your new chicken will have diseases but if he did, the damage is done. I would be BEYOND FURIOUS if I found someone had done that at my property.

I have a fenced in chicken yard that no one is allowed to enter besides my immediate family. And all customers buying eggs, chicks, chickens, turkeys etc are to wait at the bottom of my driveway and that is as far as they can come on my property. I typically dont, but If I were to bring in new chickens, I quarantine as far away from my existing flocks as possible for no less than 6 weeks (just my preference).

Chicken Pickin is right about what he ACK means. I would be freaked out about it. Lice, mites and disease are something I am trying to keep away from my chicken flock. But yes since the roo was put in with them anything he may have had would be spread by now. He is a handsome roo though. I am hoping everything is well with him and it very well may be.

Hoping for the best for your flock + 1.

Babs

Back
Top Bottom