rooster / breeding question

If you get a RIR, you would have purebred RIR chicks.......and I don't know if a Dominique works genetically like a Barred Rock. If so, those crosses would be sex linked.

What "best" are you trying to bring out? The suggestion of RIR makes the most sense to me, as it gives you two kinds of somewhat saleable chicks.

But, really, are you trying to produce good layers (roo from good laying line of ANY breed will produce good layers in first generation of offspring; choose one from their own breed if you want good layers beyond that, though), or birds with particular size/conformation/color(s), or what? What you choose depends on your goal.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

I want the best of both worlds, of course!! I'd like a good balance between a reliable layer, but able to be a good meat bird - although I know it would be slower in growth than a "true" meat bird

Last edited:
the difference between commercial meat birds (CornishX, and even - tho to a lesser extent - more 'natural' ones like red broilers or 'colored rangers' or etc) and dual purpose birds is not just growth rate, it is the type of carcass you get and how much it costs per lb.

Dual purpose birds are not really 'dual purpose' except in comparison to, like, Leghorns. You don't get much meat off the carcass, especially little breast meat, and it costs a lot more per lb to get that meat than if you'd raised commercial type broilers.

I am not in any way knocking dual purpose birds, since the meat you DO get is much TASTIER. Just, be aware.

Anyhow, a good (non hatchery) RIR would work well, or NHR although by reputation the roos are more apt to be nasty; or a good (non hatchery) rock or wyandotte roo if you do not care about the purebredness or color of chicks.

Have fun,

Pat

Back
Top Bottom