Rooster busy

Scooter1A

Chirping
Jun 29, 2023
My Rhode rooster is mating today with my 4 month old buff orpingtons. One hen is receptive. so they are on their way. I don't think they are laying eggs yet. Is this pretty normal? Haven't seen any rubbery eggs anywhere yet.

Normal in the sense that most young males will get busy whether the females are ready or not.
At 4mo the males are ready to mate but the females might not be ready to lay for another 2 months.
Separate the male if he is stressing the females so that they cannot rest, eat, drink,

Normal in the sense that most young males will get busy whether the females are ready or not.
At 4mo the males are ready to mate but the females might not be ready to lay for another 2 months.
Separate the male if he is stressing the females so that they cannot rest, eat, drink,
the hens are 5 months and have been going into the laying boxes but no eggs yet. we are close. I will separate them if I see he is stressing them. Thanks. I hope to let the buffs hatch out some chicks for me this year and just keep 'em coming.

Back
Top Bottom