Rooster butt pecked by hens?

Yes
Yes, separate him. If he bleeds, the others will continue to peck as chickens are canibalistic. I've had this going on sine June and my poor roo's skin isn't healing, nor are his feathers back. Every time they start to grow they are pecked out. I've used Veterycin up til now and after posting pics in another forum I bought Blue Cote today. Will spray him tomorrow and maybe bring him back into the house to heal up some. I am posting pics of what was done to him. His poor tail was the worst. And he's just the sweetest roo. Oops-pics are in my phone. I'll post after this one.

Sorry-my ipad went a little crazy. Can't delete the duplicated posts above. Here are the other 3 pics. The last one was yesterday-more than 2 months after all his feathers on his back and tail were pulled. Once the blood appeared they pecked his tail raw. My poor guy. I'll post on how the Blue Cote works.

You are going to have to seperate him till he is healed, scab is gone and feathers back. That may put him low on the totem but you are going to have a dead roo from infection or more of a wound than you have right now. Blue Kote is not going to hide that much of a wound from the hens. Keep him beside them so they can see each other.

Our hens have started pecking at our rooster, It is horrible. I have put the ROOSTER BOOSTER pick no more on him. They started pecking him the minute I put him down. He is in a separate pen inside the coop. They have been together for almost a year, and this just started. We have a small rooster that has matured in the group, wondering if that is the cause? Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

I have the same problem. About a week ago, my girls started pulling out the feathers on our rooster's neck. At first I just thought he was molting, then I noticed several girls actually pluck feathers right out. In less than 4 hours, his neck is a bloody mess. I did spray blue cote on him and they've left him alone, but the feather's aren't growing back in. At the same time, I made some chicken toys (bottles with holes poked in them & filled with seed) and hung a whole cabbage from a rafter in the pen. So far so good! I do keep them in the pen until bout 3pm every day, then I let them out to free range until dusk. I sure wish I knew why they turned on him and my husband can't understand why he just stood there and took their abuse!

I have a similar problem with my rooster. I too thought he was just going through a bad molt but some of the girls are very obviously picking his neck feathers out and his skin is all red. I am thinking I need to separate him out. I just don't know where to put him. I have tried blue food coloring on his neck, didn't help. I might turn my greenhouse into the bachelor pad as I have several roosters for breeding purposes.

I can't let my chickens out of the coop due to a neighbors dog. Maybe they are bored and need toys, I have never thought of that. One thing that I found interesting is that the chickens are still laying eggs without contact with the rooster. Maybe since they can see him it has the same effects? For now I am just going to leave him in the smaller cage, it is safer for him that waY

The toys helped us, but they were still pecking at him in the run, so I've started letting only him out of the run during the day. He always stays close to the run, but the girls can't pull his feathers out. Then around 3pm, as usual, I let the girls out to free range with him. He is starting to get better now...after only a couple of days!

Back
Top Bottom