Rooster can’t stand on legs

Apr 30, 2020
I have searched and read many posts here and I apologize for yet another on the subject but I’m at a loss. My young rooster cannot stand up. He is otherwise alert and acts normal. If I pinch a foot he can draw it back but his toes stay curled. He is eating, drinking & eliminating normally. His appetite is great, he talks to his hens. He stays in a small isolation coop but I get him out to sit in the grass and be with his girls. I don’t know what else we can try. It is not his crop, he is not dehydrated, my chickens were recently dewormed, i’ve been giving him Nutri-drench for 4 days. At this point I’m wondering if he has a spinal injury. I’ve only owned him a little while. My friend got chicks and couldn’t keep a rooster. I believe he’s 6 months old.

Attachments

• 5AC154BD-5503-4E40-94F1-D6F25712E7DB.jpeg
    5AC154BD-5503-4E40-94F1-D6F25712E7DB.jpeg
    144.8 KB · Views: 23
What do you feed including treats?
Any swelling of the joints?

You can try vitamin therapy to see if that makes a difference. He's fairly large, so I'd give him 1/2 tablet of B-Complex daily. See that he's eating chick starter or an all flock feed.

Hard to know what's happening with him. There are so many things that can affect chickens. Marek's is a possibility. If you lose him, then having a necropsy through your state lab would give you the best answers.

There is no swelling or bruising anywhere. He eats what the hens eat, F-R-M layer feed. Can’t feed him separately. I’ll attach the analysis. They get a couple handfuls of scratch between the 8 of them when it’s time to go back in the coop in the evenings. They do free range every afternoon. I feed them fresh and leftover meats and veggies occasionally but nothing that’s bad. He was in the coop and fine that morning and by 1pm he was down and not getting up. He never went outside that day. He has 7 hens with him. All docile. He isn’t really large. He weighs 5-6 lbs at most. He’s the same body size as my hens. I will try your suggestions. Thank you so much.

Attachments

• 93FDA933-8712-41E2-95A6-E55FF953654A.jpeg
    93FDA933-8712-41E2-95A6-E55FF953654A.jpeg
    175.5 KB · Views: 7
Oh, O.k.
Well, he's only around 6 months old and a male, so layer feed is not the best to give since it's high in calcium which is not something a cockerel/rooster needs. It's formulated for laying birds. 15% protein is bare minimum.

I'd try getting B-Complex into him and see how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom