Rooster can’t use his left leg

Tashavas

In the Brooder
Jul 18, 2022
I posted a few weeks ago regarding my rooster’s left leg. On April 30th he suddenly seemed to have his leg injured. He started limping and couldn’t really put weight on it.
My daughter is a vet tech and although her clinic doesn’t deal with chickens the doctor checked him and they did an X-ray and concluded that at least nothing was broken.
His leg however is not getting better. We have him separated since then and after some suggestions here in the forum we started giving him vitamin B complex daily. He’s taking it well and other than his leg he’s doing fine. He’s eating, drinking, pooping normal. And he’s still crowing every day. But only being able to hop around on one leg is hard on him.
I’m not sure how to proceed with him. He’s a good bird and the thought of possibly euthanizing him just because of this situation with his leg is really hard on me. On the other hand I don’t know if it is fair and realistic just to have him all alone continuing like this.
What should I do? Any input is appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_2921.jpeg
    IMG_2921.jpeg
    329.5 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_2915.jpeg
    IMG_2915.jpeg
    728 KB · Views: 6
I posted a few weeks ago regarding my rooster’s left leg. On April 30th he suddenly seemed to have his leg injured. He started limping and couldn’t really put weight on it.
My daughter is a vet tech and although her clinic doesn’t deal with chickens the doctor checked him and they did an X-ray and concluded that at least nothing was broken.
His leg however is not getting better. We have him separated since then and after some suggestions here in the forum we started giving him vitamin B complex daily. He’s taking it well and other than his leg he’s doing fine. He’s eating, drinking, pooping normal. And he’s still crowing every day. But only being able to hop around on one leg is hard on him.
I’m not sure how to proceed with him. He’s a good bird and the thought of possibly euthanizing him just because of this situation with his leg is really hard on me. On the other hand I don’t know if it is fair and realistic just to have him all alone continuing like this.
What should I do? Any input is appreciated.
- I had a rooster named pirate who was missing his whole foot because, we had a hen who hatched babies and she took them outside of the coop during winter so he had gotten frost bite. He lived a decent life and i probably should have euthanized him, but his other leg got strong enough to support him just fine. Anyways, could he have bumblefoot? Any discoloration? Oozing? Stiffness? Wart like modules?

What part of his leg is injured? Have you ever seen any green bruising, swelling or redness where it is injured? Does he grasp your finger with his foot? Or is ist paralyzed? Upper leg injuries rarely heal, while a foot or lower leg sprain might heal with rest. Could Mareks disease be a possibility? Do you know if he might have injured the leg (sciatic) nerve, or how he was injured? A chicken sling might help him to get him upright, keep cleaner, and to be in front of his food and water. The basic designs are in posts 5, 11, and 12 of this thread:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/

- I had a rooster named pirate who was missing his whole foot because, we had a hen who hatched babies and she took them outside of the coop during winter so he had gotten frost bite. He lived a decent life and i probably should have euthanized him, but his other leg got strong enough to support him just fine. Anyways, could he have bumblefoot? Any discoloration? Oozing? Stiffness? Wart like modules?
Thanks for the response.
No, there’s literally nothing that suggests what is going on. The only thing I’ve noticed that after almost a month since he first showed signs of problems his leg seems to be getting stiff now. He’s not able to fully extend anymore. And his foot is just limp.
I am so torn about what to do with him.

What part of his leg is injured? Have you ever seen any green bruising, swelling or redness where it is injured? Does he grasp your finger with his foot? Or is ist paralyzed? Upper leg injuries rarely heal, while a foot or lower leg sprain might heal with rest. Could Mareks disease be a possibility? Do you know if he might have injured the leg (sciatic) nerve, or how he was injured? A chicken sling might help him to get him upright, keep cleaner, and to be in front of his food and water. The basic designs are in posts 5, 11, and 12 of this thread:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/
Thanks for responding. I don’t see anything that suggests what might go on. Marek’s has been ruled out by a vet but his leg seems to get stiff and when I’m trying to manipulate it carefully I’ve noticed that it doesn’t extend fully anymore. His foot is not gripping and just seems to be limp.
I’m so torn about what to do with him. He seems to be fine otherwise but we also know that chickens don’t really show much when it comes to pain.

Back
Top Bottom