Rooster can barely walk

Jack T Rooster

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 13, 2014
We have an Australorp rooster that is about one year old. He's been the cock of the walk almost since birth, but in the last few days he has been sitting down a lot and much LESS aggressive than usual. Today we tried to make him go outside and realized his toes are curling under and after a few steps his legs begin to shake and sits down. I tried to pick him up to look at his legs, but of course he won't let me.

Anyone else had this experience? Is there anything we can do short of putting him in the freezer?

It might be Marek's disease if one of his legs are acting up. I''m not sure, but it's my best guess.

I read an article on Marek's disease, and it seems to be nearly unknown in birds of this age, although I thought I had seen it in some chicks last year. I guess I will try to put something over his head so I can pick him up and look at this feet.

Looked at the link on Bumblefoot, and though I don't think this is it, I'll try to look at the bottom of his feet without getting killed.
smile.png

I read an article on Marek's disease, and it seems to be nearly unknown in birds of this age, although I thought I had seen it in some chicks last year.  I guess I will try to put something over his head so I can pick him up and look at this feet.

Not so. It is more commonly seen in birds around 1 year old than previously thought. You might want to check out the link in my signature for more reading about this disease, and what other diseases can cause lameness in the legs.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom