Rooster Chat

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by cluckcluckluke, Jul 8, 2014.

1. the poppster

the poppster Chillin' With My Peeps

My Huge White Rock Roo..."Roger"...is or I thought he was Top Bird in my flock...that was until I witnessed an altercation between him and Larry, my Black Silkie Roo....Larry is half the size of Roger...but that little black ball of fluff, stared the huge white roo down...they tried a few flogging passes....Roger jumped up to kick at Larry and Larry went right under him...what a Hoot!!! After an amusing few minutes they had a stare-off with heads down and hackles raised...to my amazement!! Huge Roger cried Uncle first!!! And all was calm in the pen....that goes to show ya..you can't tell a book by its cover...and just because they don't fight...doesn't mean they won't fight if given a reason....these birds surprise me every day.

2. cabinchicky

cabinchicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2013
    ohio
    I had to go in the coop at 11:20 p.m. to cover Festers new growing tail feathers. His ladies keep pecking the pin feathers out, sigh. So after I find him, on the back roost bar, I had to nab him and treat his tail. He stuggled a bit but I am sure he gave me a good cussing by the noises he made, but he knows not to mess with Mom. She will catch him and hold him, he will run from me now for days! His buddy Lurch also had his tail treated but he doesn't raise as much fuss. That lil guy can only be caught while on the roost. Banty EE roosters are real zippy! I swear he moves at MACH speeds.

3. theroosterluver

theroosterluver New Egg

Jul 24, 2015
    i had 7 roosters at one point one sussex one gold lace wyndott 5 mongerals i wil find a pic eventually

4. theroosterluver

theroosterluver New Egg

Jul 24, 2015
    he looks just like my pheoney [​IMG]

5. the poppster

Yes those EE Roos can move...I've got one who is pushing his luck...one of his less colorful names is "The Cobra". At least he usually gives you warning before he strikes.

6. cabinchicky

Nov 8, 2013
    ohio
    Lucky you he gives warnings, put one bantam EE roo down for his stealth attacks. He spurred my husband and that was it. I had gotten it twice.

7. ccrow

ccrow Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    Southern Maine
    I have a 2yo Golden laced Wyandotte roo who was supposed to be a pullet; the other 5 I got at the same time all actually were pullets:) I've only had chickens for about five years, so never had a roo before, and decided to keep him unless he was a problem. Now this year I got six more chicks from the same LFS and wouldn't you know it, another roo! This one is a black Australorp named Ozzy. The GLW is called Chucky- at first I was calling him 'Chuckles' for the noise he makes that sounds like he's laughing. Then as he got older and showed a bit of aggression I decided he was more like the 'Child's Play' Chucky, so that's who he is now! Like someone upthread said, he is fixated on shoes... if I am barefoot or wearing flip-flops, he is fine but if I'm wearing shoes he sometimes starts the umbrella-neck routine. He mostly has a healthy respect for me, though. It's interesting seeing the interactions, or really lack thereof: I have never seen any interaction between the two roos at all. It's certainly possible that Chucky put Ozzy in his place quickly enough that I didn't even know, but Ozzy stays well out of his way. I currently have two little flocks, Chucky and the older hens(2-4yo) and Ozzy and the pullets. (Sounds like a band name, lol!)

8. keiferlou

keiferlou Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2014
    NE Oklahoma

Ozzy and the pullets lol I love it!

9. the poppster

Umbrella Neck!!! That's a good one!!

10. cabinchicky

Nov 8, 2013
    ohio
    A friend of ours hatched eggs from us early this year. He calls me this week asking a few questions that made me curious enough I had to go visit to figure out what he is dealing with. He hatched 18 chicks. Well after watching and counting I told him "Dear, you hatched out over half males. That is why the females will not get off the roost. (I counted only 4 pullets!!)He does have a very handsome flock of cockerels. I counted 8 at least.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by