Rooster Chat

Pics
There are small bumps, but even my 'leading' hen has bigger bumps there. It would be very nice if he wouldn't grow any spurs.

Thank you. What I had found was that about 50% of handled roosters turn aggressive, and after reading on this site it might be even more. Some are fine with it, I believe those are smarter than your average chicken and can keep in their mind that you aren't a chicken too. Many roosters work off of instincts, especially during their first year. I once had a lovely frizzled Cochin rooster who I would pick up quite often and pet and he was fine, his brother received the same treatment and because the spawn of Satan. I'm glad your rooster seems to have some sense about him and enjoys your interactions. I wish every rooster could handle it.

I like handling my roos as pets but naje sure they know not to cross me.

FOUR COCKERELS

I need some help on deciding what to do here. We have 9 older hens and hatched eggs this spring and have 9 younger ones, they are 16 weeks old, 4 cockerels and 5 pullets. We had an older rooster but he was attacking all the people and all the other animals and it was getting worse and worse and we decided he just had to go. So the only roosters here are immature cockerels.

The 4 cockerels are terrorizing the older hens. They are trying with the younger ones but not getting very far with them. But the older ones, they seem to pick out a favorite hen every couple days and target her in the morning and evenings, where they'll tackle her and take turns, then she'll run off and they'll get her down again, like 4-5 times in a row. I've watched this with two different hens and I'm having a bad reaction to it, it just seems a bit excessive.Tonight I kicked them off and boy did they seem surprised. Now I'm afraid I've set up a dynamic where they'll feel threatened by me, which I don't want.

Anyway so my question is, how do you pick which roosters to keep? I guess we'd thought to keep two at least, just to see if the dynamic would be any better than with just one. These were hatched together and all get along just fine. One of them showed signs he was a rooster from the first week, he always took it upon himself to look out for the others. I've always assumed he would be the head rooster, but how can I be sure? Not sure how people choose.

Thanks for any thoughts.

FOUR COCKERELS

I need some help on deciding what to do here.  We have 9 older hens and hatched eggs this spring and have 9 younger ones, they are 16 weeks old,  4 cockerels and 5 pullets. We had an older rooster but he was attacking all the people and all the other animals and it was getting worse and worse and we decided he just had to go. So the only roosters here are immature cockerels.

The 4 cockerels are terrorizing the older hens. They are trying with the younger ones but not getting very far with them.  But the older ones, they seem to pick out a favorite hen every couple days and target her in the morning and evenings, where they'll tackle her and take turns, then she'll run off and they'll get her down again, like 4-5 times in a row.  I've watched this with two different hens and I'm having a bad reaction to it, it just seems a bit excessive.Tonight I kicked them off and boy did they seem surprised.  Now I'm afraid I've set up a dynamic where they'll feel threatened by me, which I don't want.

Anyway so my question is, how do you pick which roosters to keep?  I guess we'd thought to keep two at least, just to see if the dynamic would be any better than with just one.  These were hatched together and all get along just fine.  One of them showed signs he was a rooster from the first week, he always took it upon himself to look out for the others.  I've always assumed he would be the head rooster, but how can I be sure?  Not sure how people choose.

Thanks for any thoughts.  

I'm a first time rooster owner, so take it with a grain of salt, but my opinion would be if they're all equally nice (or mean in this case maybe?) Then just keep whichever ones best further your breeding plans. Want bigger eggs? Keep the ones that came from hens that tend to lay larger eggs. Want better coloring? Keep the two with the best color. And so on. :)

You kicking them off the hens is exactly what you should do. They should be wary of you or else they will often turn human aggressive. I wouldn't be worried about hurting your relationship with them, I would be protecting my hens and removing them. Start with the ring leader and work your way down. That's how I do. If they make trouble they are removed. Some are kept penned for a few months if I think they will mature out of the behavior, things like aggression I cull for. Two roosters will often fight constantly, especially if kept confine. Keep one or rotate them.

FOUR COCKERELS

I need some help on deciding what to do here. We have 9 older hens and hatched eggs this spring and have 9 younger ones, they are 16 weeks old, 4 cockerels and 5 pullets. We had an older rooster but he was attacking all the people and all the other animals and it was getting worse and worse and we decided he just had to go. So the only roosters here are immature cockerels.

The 4 cockerels are terrorizing the older hens. They are trying with the younger ones but not getting very far with them. But the older ones, they seem to pick out a favorite hen every couple days and target her in the morning and evenings, where they'll tackle her and take turns, then she'll run off and they'll get her down again, like 4-5 times in a row. I've watched this with two different hens and I'm having a bad reaction to it, it just seems a bit excessive.Tonight I kicked them off and boy did they seem surprised. Now I'm afraid I've set up a dynamic where they'll feel threatened by me, which I don't want.

Anyway so my question is, how do you pick which roosters to keep? I guess we'd thought to keep two at least, just to see if the dynamic would be any better than with just one. These were hatched together and all get along just fine. One of them showed signs he was a rooster from the first week, he always took it upon himself to look out for the others. I've always assumed he would be the head rooster, but how can I be sure? Not sure how people choose.

Thanks for any thoughts.
First thing I would do is build a bachelor/grow out coop and separate those boys ASAP. As far as which one to keep, you need to figure out what you're looking for in your flock, then proceed from there. Your old rooster didn't get aggressive because he was a single rooster. One cockerel/rooster can easily cover your 13 females once the pullets mature. If they're not laying, they're just not ready to be mated. I think even as many as two roosters will cause stress in your flock.

First thing I would do is build a bachelor/grow out coop and separate those boys ASAP. As far as which one to keep, you need to figure out what you're looking for in your flock, then proceed from there. Your old rooster didn't get aggressive because he was a single rooster. One cockerel/rooster can easily cover your 13 females once the pullets mature. If they're not laying, they're just not ready to be mated. I think even as many as two roosters will cause stress in your flock.

I have 2 wyandotte hens and read that they do not lay until they are 6 months old. So, they should not be mated until then?

I have 2 wyandotte hens and read that they do not lay until they are 6 months old. So, they should not be mated until then?
Pretty much they just won't allow it, or they will put up a fuss and try to avoid it. They will start squatting when they're ready to start laying, and will be more receptive to your cockerel.

Quote:
I only really know which hen laid 1 of the roosters, the others I'm not certain of. But yes, ok.

You kicking them off the hens is exactly what you should do. They should be wary of you or else they will often turn human aggressive. I wouldn't be worried about hurting your relationship with them, I would be protecting my hens and removing them. Start with the ring leader and work your way down. That's how I do. If they make trouble they are removed. Some are kept penned for a few months if I think they will mature out of the behavior, things like aggression I cull for. Two roosters will often fight constantly, especially if kept confine. Keep one or rotate them.

Everyone free ranges. None of them have shown the slightest aggression toward me, and who starts the pile ons seems to rotate. I have been observing for just this information and it really varies. But you're saying isolate them into separate quarters?

I did ask here on the rooster chat about having more than 1 rooster and folks that answered said they have lots of roosters about their places. So I thought it was doable. But a couple of the older hens, ones they've targeted, are now going to roost super early in the day, apparently to avoid the cockerels. So I guess the point of the bachelor pad is to let the roosters mature more before choosing which one to keep? I have 1 secure coop for the chickens, which they lay in and sleep in, but then it's free ranging for everyone. I can't really provide another secure overnight coop but I reckon I could come up with something that would pen the roosters separately. They just wouldn't be highly secure from predators. I'm not crazy about this idea.

The hens are so upset they aren't even laying much, so it's looking like it's either pen the cockerels separately or just make a choice now.

I like the cockerels which is part of why I had inquired about keeping more than one, or have done until now. ::sigh::

Back
Top Bottom