Rooster Chat

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by cluckcluckluke, Jul 8, 2014.

1. nbro01h

nbro01h Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2015
    North Carolina
    Thanks for the help! Guess I'll go ahead and get it over with on my next day off.

2. cluckcluckluke

cluckcluckluke Overrun With Chickens

Good luck. Tell us the result.

3. nbro01h

nbro01h Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2015
    North Carolina
    Mission accomplished. It was surprisingly uneventful. A couple pecks and a chase around the run and then they just ignored each other the rest of the day. Looks like I was worried for no reason. Lol

4. alibabba

alibabba Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2015
    Southeast PA
    My Coop
    So...I could let them run together. I don't feel that I have enough hens yet.. Although the current guy is definitely subordinate material. He only mates every now and then, rarely crows during the day unless someone walks past or kids scream at the playground or outside (like barking dog would)

I am wanting to do specific breeding, and I hate to get rid of a good free range roo for a bad one. I need one to range with the flock and not fuss with me or the kids. And somehow add one without freaking out the neighbors...

5. alibabba

Mar 14, 2015
    Southeast PA
    My Coop
    My D'Uccle Cockerel was a wonderful gentleman. Crowed at respectful times of day. Was great with the girls, never agressive, took treats from my hand.... Your Grammy will enjoy him for sure!

6. alibabba

Mar 14, 2015
    Southeast PA
    My Coop
    He is not used to seeing this tiny thing. Very different that an adult, and chickens prefer keepers they know. It just is. He isn't sure what she is, a threat like a predator or not. Give him a chance to sort it out. Maybe put him away while she is outside ( I put mine in the garage when strangers come over, they do not die from it)

have her give the treats....and if possible hold him super securely and let her pet him and talk to him, then he will realize she is not dangerous and is actually one of the bosses.

ETA: after rereading your post...he thinks she is something to take a way his girls...predator or rooster. He is confused, I hope you give him the chance to understand, ESPECIALLY because he is young and this is not a normal experience for him. I have a feeling all will be well, because you can not pet him. He respects you enough to not let you get that close. I have my 4 year old "try to pet the rooster" everytime she goes out. He sees me all the time, but crows when the kids go out. So that action proves to him what species is in charge. I wouldn't do that if he had already jumped at her with out me standing right there to reinforce.....gently.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
  7. alibabba

Mar 14, 2015
    Southeast PA
    My Coop
    you can try playing radio outside. Sounds silly, but my guy crows on sounds, the contant soft background keeps him occupied I guess.

I have "shades" on the coop window, so he only crows at 630. About 20 times, but can't hear it with windows closed. He is even getting better at getting used to neighors taking their trash out and their kids playing outside. Like a smart dog learning who belongs and who does not.

ETA: if you want to keep him that is, if you can't eat him, someone is willing to.

8. alibabba

Mar 14, 2015
    Southeast PA
    My Coop
    Did you try modification? It seems to work well, except in crazies... kinda like people.

9. alibabba

Mar 14, 2015
    Southeast PA
    My Coop
    ewwww, grosss! [​IMG]LOL

10. alibabba

Mar 14, 2015
    Southeast PA
    My Coop
    Hey, that's funny..."those who can do, those who can't teach"

Where are you getting friends for your little hen?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by