Rooster Chat

Pics

My new LF Cochin Cockerel to replace Stumpy for breeding. Saddens me to have to replace the big guy but it will be for the best.

Rooster or hen?? The grey Americana is a hen I'm pretty sure but unsure of the tan one (same breed) any votes?

Last edited:
Oldhen & Microchick I love your posts & I think this is a good thread. I thought a lot about your posts. I do consider mine pets. To me a pet is something you interact with constantly, it is mutually rewarding, & with complete & total trust. There is no dominance from me to them or vise versa. When I go outside they come running to me, Harry too, & are with me in the yard. Every day when I feed them mealworms he comes around to my side as I am squatted down, touching me, to get his. I think that is his way of saying we are real buddies. We enjoy each other's company & that is why I have them. I am sure people have chickens for all different reasons. Some just as livestock but they can also be pets. It is what kind of relationship you want & how much time you want to spend to develop that relationship. You can have the same trust with a roo as a hen. In that way I see them as no difference. I don't really pet any of mine. They don't seem to like that. I can & do pick them up any time I may need to. And from time to time I do wash the girls rears & blow them dry. LOL. They seem to enjoy this.

Oldhen & Microchick I love your posts & I think this is a good thread. I thought a lot about your posts. I do consider mine pets. To me a pet is something you interact with constantly, it is mutually rewarding, & with complete & total trust. There is no dominance from me to them or vise versa. When I go outside they come running to me, Harry too, & are with me in the yard. Every day when I feed them mealworms he comes around to my side as I am squatted down, touching me, to get his. I think that is his way of saying we are real buddies. We enjoy each other's company & that is why I have them. I am sure people have chickens for all different reasons. Some just as livestock but they can also be pets. It is what kind of relationship you want & how much time you want to spend to develop that relationship. You can have the same trust with a roo as a hen. In that way I see them as no difference. I don't really pet any of mine. They don't seem to like that. I can & do pick them up any time I may need to. And from time to time I do wash the girls rears & blow them dry. LOL. They seem to enjoy this.
Thank you. What I had found was that about 50% of handled roosters turn aggressive, and after reading on this site it might be even more. Some are fine with it, I believe those are smarter than your average chicken and can keep in their mind that you aren't a chicken too. Many roosters work off of instincts, especially during their first year. I once had a lovely frizzled Cochin rooster who I would pick up quite often and pet and he was fine, his brother received the same treatment and became the spawn of Satan. I'm glad your rooster seems to have some sense about him and enjoys your interactions. I wish every rooster could handle it.

Last edited:
I just want people to be careful and be realistic about their roosters. There is an old line from Gone With The Wind where Rhett tells Scarlet, that he is riding her with loose reins but he is wearing spurs and using a curb bit......just in case.

That is how I look upon roosters and treat them. I just hope people do the same with their roosters, especially where kids are concerned.

Ok, next question. 18 weeks old rooster. 18 week old hens. The hens are showing signs of wanting to... mate, but the rooster isn't on the same page. He kind of just ignores them. Any chances to know when that'll happen? Thanks. Not inviting it to happen either.

What breed is he? Some mature more slowly and don't start breeding until 5 months or more. What does he look like as far as comb and wattles?

My rooster, silver laced Wyandotte:

I got him about a month ago and he should be 1-1,5 years, but he still has no spurs (which I like). When and how fast the spurs grow?
He makes all the time various funny sounds, but crows only a couple of times per day:)
He is only about 1,6 kg (bantam?) and has very nice personality, but he is clearly the boss. When he arrived, my ex-battery hens (they are rather bullies) tried to peck him, but the fight lasted only about a minute, resulting in amazed hens. After that they have been friends.

He's adorable. He should have spurs by now, maybe he won't grow any. Is there any spur bumps? He sounds like a really level headed rooster.

Back
Top Bottom