Rooster collar how to keep it on?

Mike1J

In the Brooder
Jun 17, 2020
I have two roosters and live with neighbors nearby. The boys started to crow so I got rooster collars. They seem fairly effective when I get them on and tight enough. These are the Velcro type and seem to be on tight. But the have been able to get them off a number of times. The end of the velcro seems to be tattered. I have seen the hens peck at them. Is there better ones or a way to keep them on. They work much better when on. Suggestions appreciated.

Do you need roosters for predators or for fertilized eggs? If it’s just for predators the easiest thing would be to rehome I would think.

Are you allowed to keep roosters? If you are then you could ask your neighbors if they’re fine with the crowing.

There is a huge variety in opinion when it comes to no crow collars, so be aware that you're opening a can of worms here. Leaving the right or wrong aspect aside, since I don't know if your cockerels are prized family pets or what your situation is and hopefullyyou are aware of the risks and don'tneed a lecture, my concern personally is that if they were able to remove them if they were on tight enough to work then you're probably going to have a hard time finding a substitute that will stay on. Maybe take a good look around the yard to check for something they're getting hung up on? I know they usually come in black or red, if you have the red, maybe try the black so they don't draw as much attention.

Thanks for the responses. So we have roosters as my son wants to sell fertilized eggs and far as I know the roosters are needed for that. My city doesn't forbid roosters but city over does. And my neighbors on one side are in the other city. Either way I want to be a good neighbor.

Not sure the color is doing it, but can try. He got out of a black one and now a blue one.

Thanks for the responses. So we have roosters as my son wants to sell fertilized eggs and far as I know the roosters are needed for that. My city doesn't forbid roosters but city over does. And my neighbors on one side are in the other city. Either way I want to be a good neighbor.

Not sure the color is doing it, but can try. He got out of a black one and now a blue one.
The thought behind the change of colour is a less bright option may not attract the attention of the others as much, if it is a situation where one is yanking the velcro open. Do you have both roosters together? I don't use the crow collars personally, so I'm trying to imagine how they might get removed and just thinking about how my two silkie boys squabble and spar I could see how it would happen. If the collar is just a velcro loop, it wouldn't be terribly difficult, if the collar has an eyelet the velcro runs through, I'd be a bit concerned with a choke chain like scenario.
Hows your coop situation? If you're only worried about crowing at god awful hours theres always the dark coop or the cramped sleeping cage methods.

Back
Top Bottom