Rooster collar inquiry

Sarasarasara222

Songster
Nov 13, 2017
sorry if this is the wrong forum but I have bought a no crow rooster collar and just have a few questions before I put it on

- should I permanently switch their food from pellets to crumble? Since I don’t have any when I put it on could I just soak the pellets in hot water for him if this is a temporary diet change?

- any extra tips for a smooth process of putting it on him since I know he will freak out?

When I had a rooster, I tried the collar. The pellets definitely got lodged a lot, you could soak it but you'd have to do it every day and there are still dry things he could try to eat.

He's gonna freak out at first. Make sure the feathers aren't in uncomfortable positions. Just watch him and make sure he gets used to it. I'd keep the strap pointed back too because mine eventually learned how to take it off.

When I had a rooster, I tried the collar. The pellets definitely got lodged a lot, you could soak it but you'd have to do it every day and there are still dry things he could try to eat.

He's gonna freak out at first. Make sure the feathers aren't in uncomfortable positions. Just watch him and make sure he gets used to it. I'd keep the strap pointed back too because mine eventually learned how to take it off.
So can he not eat scraps anymore? what if he gets something lodged from something he finds on the ground? what do i do when he does get something lodged? will he choke?

So can he not eat scraps anymore? what if he gets something lodged from something he finds on the ground? what do i do when he does get something lodged? will he choke?

I had more issues with my bantam rooster and not being able to swallow. But strapping anything to something’s neck could always cause issues. You have to find the right medium between being tight enough the crow is quiet, but not so tight they can’t eat well.

I’ve never had a chicken actually choke, but I’d definitely take the collar off if they seemed to be and go from there.

I appreciate you’re trying to keep a rooster, hopefully it works out.?

Back
Top Bottom