Rooster Collar Problem

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by StruttinRoo, Sep 3, 2014.

1. StruttinRoo

StruttinRoo New Egg

Sep 3, 2014
    Hello, just joined and I'm new to the whole chicken thing. Got my tiny flock by accident really. But I've fallen in love with them after having to raise them from chicks. The only problem is I live in town and my favorite chick turned out to be a rooster. A Seabright? I think. So it's four girls and one roo doing what roos do best...which is crow ALOT. So far, there hasn't been any complaints but I'm concerned enough to give the "rooster collar" a try. I made my own from velcro after looking at what other people have done, and I've also seen the warnings from people who've actually killed the rooster with the collar. Mine live in an enclosure I built from dog cages since we're right by a busy road so I wasn't too worried about him getting caught on anything in the yard. But, in order for it to work, the collar seems to need to be at the base of the neck and very tight to affect my rooster at all. Anywhere else and he's like "LOL COCKADOODLEDOO SUCKAH". So I found that "sweet spot" and thought, FINALLY, VICTORY! I stayed out there with him, watching him, making sure he didn't keel over or freak out too bad because he absolutely hates wearing it at first. Once settled he goes back to his normal behaviors. That is till he eats. When he eats, the food gets stuck above the collar and builds up, creating a bulge that he can't swallow. Is this a common problem with the collars? I have to keep taking it off so he can eat properly and now I just go out there and put it on when he's carrying on too much. Just can't leave it on him for long however. Before anyone suggests getting rid of him, I've thought about it yes. Personally I don't mind his crowing at all it's the neighbors I'm concerned about. He's a good boy, takes care of his girls and I've raised the little booger from a baby. I'll do whatever I can to keep him as long as I can...otherwise I'm not sure what'll happen to him. He's good for my hens and I'd hate to take their man away from them. Just wanted to know if anyone else has had the food stuck in the throat problem and if maybe I'm doing something wrong or it's just a hazard with...well...strangling a bird lol.

2. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
  3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Just an FYI, the collars do not stop the crowing, they simply mute it. If I were you, I would just go and talk to your neighbors and ask them how they feel about the crowing. They may not even care.

You didn't mention the ordinances where you live, just that you live in town. Are you allowed to keep the rooster and just worried about irritating the neighbors? Or are you not allowed to have him and trying to keep things stealthy? If you're allowed, I wouldn't worry about what the neighbors think, but thats me.
    And, I'm not trying to stir things up or sound mean (so don't take this the wrong way) but I think putting a collar on him is much more cruel than getting rid of him. Roosters crow, its what they do.

Best of luck.

4. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO

x2

5. StruttinRoo

StruttinRoo New Egg

Sep 3, 2014
    I THINK my town allows only two chickens and they must be hens. No roosters. But I've gone over the limit a little bit. Have four hens and one rooster(who I got by accident). I see your points of course and there has been a neighbor nearby who had a rooster that crowed..and then got out and eaten by a dog. Then they got another one but I haven't heard it in awhile so I'm unsure if they killed it, or someone complained about it. I'd rather not take the chance. I mean...my neighbors have loud dogs, kids, and one of them had a parrot at one time that wouldn't shut up so I've got some dirt on them at least lol. And if my rooster would only crow just a few times then it wouldn't be an issue. But he crows constantly. I guess because he's young and reacting to everything around him. Even if roosters were allowed here, something making so much noise all the time would be a problem regardless.

With all that said, and my previous problem noted, I HAVE improved my collar. I made it wider, and more flexible and it's working without hindering him at all now. His crowing is muffled(though when he gets going he still manages a loud SQAUWK) and he seems alright with it. Haven't had any more issues with food getting stuck. I think making it wider so it goes further up the neck helped. I do take it off for a few hours here and there, make sure his neck looks alright and gets a breather. All and all I am satisfied and happy to say things are working out between me and him now. Thanks for your concerns and advice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by