Rooster collars? Do they work?

Ive heard of yard birds, so I guess in city folk's closed little minds, yard birds lay yard eggs. It makes sense!! You want to really have fun with them, remind them where ALL eggs come out of :D, and that white thing at the end of their egg, that the rooster left???? yah, I love people like that!!

Aaron

There are several videos on Youtube that shows a rooster collar.

is one of them.
After viewing several, it appears that the results will vary from bird to bird, how you use it, how tight etc etc. Most people say you should just make your own, which when you look at the price they want for that thing, makes a lot of sense, and they WILL wear out, get tore up so best to have handy replacements.

Aaron

Edit: Let me also add, if you have a friendly rooster you can probably get the collar on him fairly easy, otherwise you may get the living crap beat out of you, spurred etc etc, and worse case?? hurt the bird in the struggle. If it is anything like my cockatoo when I first started using a collar, prepare for a fight and high drama...

Its a lot to think about. I really hope we can find a way to keep him. But I guess it's hard
I'm in the same boat. My chicks aren't even 6 weeks old and at least one of the little boys is already crowing! It's very quiet (he's still a baby!) but I know the volume is about to turn up. I was thinking I would just go with velcro, but I was concerned about the edges being too rough, but then I was thinking one of the expensive mesh ones would probably get caught in brambles and attract stickers and such.

I'm in the same boat. My chicks aren't even 6 weeks old and at least one of the little boys is already crowing! It's very quiet (he's still a baby!) but I know the volume is about to turn up. I was thinking I would just go with velcro, but I was concerned about the edges being too rough, but then I was thinking one of the expensive mesh ones would probably get caught in brambles and attract stickers and such.
The dream would be a boy who doesn't crow 😄... Obviously and sadly that can't happen but I believe the collar is worth a try.

I use them alot as I'm in a neighborhood. I make mine from 2 inch wide velcro cit 8 inches long. He can still crow some but its more of a aarrggh than a full on loud crow. You do have to take it off occasionally and re adjust it. Basically all your doing is blocking him from pushing air out fast enough to get that loud crow out. Mine eats, mates, and drinks fine. They will do a backwards dance when you put it on and stand with their head down until they figure it out. But it keeps him quiet and alive.Others here have had no luck using them some use them. I make mine tight enough to get a finger between it and his neck and adjust from there. View attachment 2582942
Thank you @cmobley .
It's been a while but my roosters started to crow in the mornings so I got a pair of collars and put them on earlier today. It was quite easy to put them on since they are tame. They tried pulling it off, and did a backwards dance (like you said) but they are okay with it now. They have been eating and drinking okay.
I'll see what happens tommorow morning.

Back
Top Bottom