Rooster comb turning black -- not frost bite

LittleRockColle

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 2, 2013
Little Rock, AR
Help! I have a 7 month old araucana, who since coming home from a show in December has been losing weight. He has slimmy stools that stick to his back end. Gave him ivermectin thinking it was worms. Maybe not enough? Now his comb is turning black and he is staggering. But still eating well. Any ideas? He is the cornerstone of my breeding program.

Did he have a Mareks vaccine? The weight loss and staggering sound a little like Mareks. What color is the diarrhea? Ivermectin has lost it's effectiveness as a wormer. Fenbendazole (SafeGuard10% horse or goat wormer) would be good, as well as Valbazen which also treats tapeworm. Until you determine the cause, I would start him on vitamins and a probiotic such as Probios to help with the diarrhea. Scrambled eggs, low sodium canned tuna, and good dry cat food would help with his protein intake.

Don't know about the vaccine. I bought him as a juvenile. The weight loss seem to happen over night. I noticed his comb get blue and then pink up. Today it is near black. The stool is light brown. Will start vitamin ASAP and the probiotics. Thanks for your suggestions.

The comb turning black sounds like a cardiac or lung problem from not getting enough oxygen to his heart. Chickens can get endocarditis from streptococci, and that sometimes can cause central nervous center problems. I'm not saying that is what he has, but just something to think about. I sure hope that you can find out what his problem is. Can you take him to a vet?

Worms certainly can cause those. I hope his comb pinks back up. Is he a rumpless auracana? I have blue wheaten ameraucanas, and everyone around here mistakenly calls them auracanas, which are very rare because they are so hard to hatch.

He is a nice fully rumpless male with big balanced tufts. A little smaller than preferred but nice beetle green sheen. I've gotta save him but he looks pitiful. Will try to get to co-op tomorrow for the flu...med. he is eating well but his keel is so prominent when I pick him up and he was fine 3 weeks ago.

This is just a suggestion, but if it were me, I might treat him with erythromycin (Gallimycin) since it treats almost everything in chickens from strep to intestinal to respiratory disease. But do this only if you were already planning on an antibiotic.

Would you give both the e-mycin and fenbendaZole? My gut tells me worms are in this picture yet I have never had worms. He came from another persons flock about 6 weeks ago. He has no respiratory symptoms other than the cyanosis of the comb and paleness in his face and wattles. I feel he is severely anemic but I treat people not chickens.

Back
Top Bottom