Rooster comb turning purple/blue??? HELP

very nice birds! mine are all pets but my game hen started it all your in the South so do you go to the shows in N.C. and Tenn.?

Last edited:
Quote:
those certainly are fine birds!

And as for the culling, I WANT to hear every-one's opinion. all the things you mentioned are very true and thoughts that I have had too. I think it all depends on what your purpose for the chickens are. We need folk like you who breed good strong healthy blood lines and in order for you to do that, you have to be strict. that I totally understand. Heck, if I were breeding like you, I too would have very strict rules about something like that. But for me, I am only keeping my chickens for pets and eggs. so in a case like that, I think it's okay to give the 'faulty' ones a chance.
I encountered the same moral dilema when it came to CRD. I was wondering if CRD birds should be culled to prevent further spread of the disease. Not only in one's own flock, but for the sake of ALL chickens out there. I'm still on the fence about that one. I'm not sure. from what I have learned, here in South Africa, you would have to go a long way to find a CRD free chicken, and from what I've learned about CRD, it's only a matter of time before any healthy birds will be infected?
I had lunch with an Egg farmer yesterday. He said he doesn't cull his CRD CHICKENS AT ALL. I was surprised to learn this because I thought that would be the first place to cull.

UPDATE ON MADIBA: Well, he's been in good health! His crowing is back to normal and he's stil terrorizing the property's inhabitants. Yesterday I noticed his comb going blue again. He was supervising one of my hen's egg laying and as he marched up and down infront of the nest, his comb got a blue tinge. In less than an hour though, the blue tinge went away?? I'm thinking it may be his heart and times when he stresses, the comb turns blue. Who knows...anyway, he's a happy bunny other wise, and so am I.
71829_048.jpg

I think you already have this figured out (probably nothing) but I had a welsummer roo that would do this. I wonder if the breeds with a LARGE single comb are more prone to this. Kind of like cold extremities, which vary person by person but might be more likely on a breed with such a large comb. All about blood flow. It goes here, it goes there, and we all know what roos are thinking about most of the time.........
wink.png
Blood is not likely flowing to his head. Although now that I think about it he doesn't have a winkie either, hmmm.

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif
gig.gif
TOOOOOOO TRUE! You had me rolling around in stitches!!!!! He IS a particularly...errr....."Busy" Roo! He errrrr.....'services' anything that moves. He litterally walks around and looks at my girls fluffy bottoms! I think he would 'service' me if I werent so dang ugly!
lau.gif

That sounds more like my Muscovy drake than my roos. I am very happy to hear Madiba is feeling strong again and going about his manly duties! As far as culling goes I understand what saladin is saying also. I just want to give mine all the mothering possible, if they get sick then it depends on whats going on if they are a threat to the flock thats another decision that needs to be addressed. I just hope I never have to make that decision. .....I have a little roo with a single comb like that will have to watch to see if that could be a possibility.

Last edited:
CRD................... very low mortality rate; also, it is in most backyards in America, at least.

When culling here are the general rules I follow (as it concerns disease):

1. If it even appears to be genetic: CULL.
2. If it is a management issue: kick myself and straighten up.
3. If it is viral or bacterial: depends. I ask myself several questions:
a. Will they be carriers?
b. Does every bird on the yard already have it?
c. Will this affect fertility?
d. Can this be passed to chicks?

JJ, made some good comments. However, I have a totally different view.

Let's say you have 3 birds. All are exposed to the same disease. One dies, one gets sick and recovers, and one seems never to have been sick. Which one is the better bird? According to JJs theory it would be bird number 2. I TOTALLY DISAGREE. It is the bird that though exposed to the disease but never showed any signs of illness. THAT IS THE BIRD TO BREED: one whose immunity was strong enough to resist disease.

Now, if you are raising pets; all this doesn't matter, right? WRONG! The reason some breeds of dogs that were once the paragon of strength and health are now weak is because people stopped culling! They are just pets they said. It doesn't matter anymore. So, now the pet owners have enormous vet bills because they are raising dogs with inherited weaknesses. If the dog breeders had been MORE concerned with the BREED instead of MONEY they would have CULLED!

If you want to keep a weakling that is your business; JUST DON'T BREED THEM. Show more concern for the Breed than that!

Sneezing, coughing, congestion, purple or dark combs, runny nose etc. is CRD (Chronic Respiratory Disease or Airsacculitis ) It causes a hole in the air sac, and infection in the lungs and it can be fatal very quickly once the comb changes colors. Chickens breathe 9 times to our 1. I have found that the underlying causes are moist or wet rainy conditions or dusty envirements. I use 1/4 to 3/4 teaspoon SpecLinx 50 to one gallon of water for 7 days minimum to 10 days maximum. I usually treat my birds 2 to 3 days before a cold rain or the first sign of a bird sneezing.

Back
Top Bottom