Rooster comb

dottie15

Chirping
May 18, 2022
Hello! My rooster Dottie’s comb started to turn a white-ish color earlier this week. It looks a little crusty up close and is only on the right side. I sometimes put Vaseline on his comb when I see it darken at the tips or look dry. Any ideas on what this could be? Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_5574.jpeg
    IMG_5574.jpeg
    437.6 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_5575.jpeg
    IMG_5575.jpeg
    428.5 KB · Views: 10
Not sure where you’re from.

I’d say frostbite if you were from the southern hemisphere. Not in my area right now though.

I don’t know what else could cause lack of circulation.

Did you notice the whitish buildup after you applied Vaseline?
If so, then likely it's just peeling skin. See if you can wipe it off.
I started noticing sometime last week but haven’t applied any Vaseline since. I use the Vaseline with cocoa butter, could that be an issue? That’s the only Vaseline I’ve ever used and this is the first time I’ve seen his comb this way. I haven’t touched it much but I’ll give it warm compresses tomorrow and see if it wipes off. Thank you so much!

Not sure where you’re from.

I’d say frostbite if you were from the southern hemisphere. Not in my area right now though.

I don’t know what else could cause lack of circulation.
I live in Los Angeles. It’s warming up a little to the high 70’s but nothing crazy.

I started noticing sometime last week but haven’t applied any Vaseline since. I use the Vaseline with cocoa butter, could that be an issue? That’s the only Vaseline I’ve ever used and this is the first time I’ve seen his comb this way. I haven’t touched it much but I’ll give it warm compresses tomorrow and see if it wipes off. Thank you so much!
Could be from the cocoa butter.
I've found that if I use just plain old Vaseline on combs/wattles I don't have problems, but if I use something like Coconut oil or a mix of oils, then combs/wattles seem to peel or have some dryish looking skin/peeling.

As for his comb turning dark on the tips, that can be somewhat normal on large combed roosters. Hormones, oxygen levels, etc.

Could be from the cocoa butter.
I've found that if I use just plain old Vaseline on combs/wattles I don't have problems, but if I use something like Coconut oil or a mix of oils, then combs/wattles seem to peel or have some dryish looking skin/peeling.

As for his comb turning dark on the tips, that can be somewhat normal on large combed roosters. Hormones, oxygen levels, etc.
Thank you! I’ll pick up some plain Vaseline tomorrow.

Mine get chapped when its a little cold. Maybe that could be the cause? Either way, hope he’s alright! I’m sure he will be.
I live in Los Angeles so the weather has been nice for July. It hasn’t gotten hot yet and the nights are cool. Any other ideas?

Back
Top Bottom