Rooster crowing what I do

(This is what I do.) I have a rooster who is cream legbar/BCM he looks all black, with a bit of a tuft on his head. He is 3 months old and with other birds his age separate from the older lady hens. He just started to crow. I took him and some other roosters I have out of their baby pen and put them in with the older ladies. The older lady hens will chase and harass those young roosters, even though they are not trying to mate yet, the rooster should forget to crow at this point, and maybe not until he tries to mate, which could be another month. Another good thing about this is when I release the rest of the flock to the bigger pen, the roosters will show the younger hens the ways of living with the older hens and it will be less stressful for them.
Wow... wish I'd known this earlier... fo the older dominant hens keep the young rooster from being so " cocky" and crow- prone forever, or just till they mature?

Wow... wish I'd known this earlier... fo the older dominant hens keep the young rooster from being so " cocky" and crow- prone forever, or just till they mature?

The boys will always crow.

What the adults do is teach the youngsters proper chicken manners by resisting their advances until they learn to court them properly.

Back
Top Bottom