Rooster Damage Need Advice

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ikatiemay, Jul 9, 2011.

1. ikatiemay

ikatiemay Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2010
    Eden Utah
    I have 2 roos 1 americauna and a black austrolorp( msp?) The Americauna is a small guy but the BO weighs 6 pounds. I have 7 hens that are 14 mo old and have introduced 6 newbies to the flock. My problem is rooster damage to the older 6 girls. They look pretty rough, backs bare and wing tips also. The color of the skin on some looks so red and ugly. I have had aprons on the 7 hens for months and the feathers arent growing back. I have seperated the roos from the flock for the last month (much to their dismay!) hoping that would help the girls heal and grow new feathers. The roos are so frustrated and my Hubby feels so bad for them! So my questions are: will feathers grow back? Am I doing the right thing here? The americauna is after the girls alot. The BO seems to be less so. Is there something I can put on the bare skin to help with the healing? I am at a loss and afraid to let the guys in with the girls, I dont want the damage to continue. Some of the backs and wing tips are totally bare. HELP!!

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Hopefully the feathers will grow back after their next molt. There really isn't much you can do for the bare areas if there are no open wounds. If you can pen the roos far enough away from the hens that they can't see or hear them, they should calm down. When I have had a similar situation developing, I have culled the roughest roo.

3. ikatiemay

ikatiemay Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2010
    Eden Utah
    I have thought about culling one roo. I think the americauna would be the choice. The BO is such a big boy but I think not as hard on the hens. I also wonder if I dont have some roo competition going on too? I dont know when they moulted last with so much feather damage there isnt much to moult! I cant keep them out of hearing or seeing distance from the hens so I have alot of crowing going on! My neighbor may take care of the problem for me!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by