Rooster dead

rooterroo13

In the Brooder
Oct 5, 2015
I hope this is the Right place to put this. About 20 minutes after I let my chickens out my mille fluer d uccle rooster started acting very odd. I was in the other pen less than 10 feet away so I don't think he was attacked. He was crowing very loud then fluffed up and started attacking the air. I've never seen anything like it he was only out with 3 other hens and they could have cared less. After trying to make him stop he stood up crowed and started attacking the ground. Within seconds he was dead. I was just so shocked at what he was doing cause it's not like he was just flopping around he was standing and jumping like he was fighting another roo. The only thing I noticed was his comb turned purple after he died. What could have happened?

I don't think he would have cause his coop was just cleaned and the other chickens were fine but it's a possibility I guess

I'm sorry for your loss. He may have just been exhibiting symptoms of dying (the throes of death) which can be frightening. If you live in the US, you could contact your state vet, and send or take in his refrigerated (not frozen) body for a necropsy. Chickens can die of all different things, and I commonly will lose one or two a year. Necropsy make help find a cause. Here is the link for state vets:
http://www.usaha.org/Portals/6/StateAnimalHealthOfficials.pdf

Back
Top Bottom