Rooster did the wing dance and I finally got to see it

bobbieschicks

Chicken Tender
8 Years
Jun 24, 2011
King George, VA
My Coop
My Coop
He was so beautiful - if I were a hen, I'd be impressed! My Foghorn did the wing flapping and full feather stretch show off dance for his pullet, Snow White, then he mated her! HAHA!

Then he turned around and just about mounted my 18 week old EE pullet. She squawked and rushed away. He acted flustered but didn't pursue her. Guess he thought she was ready.

97463_snow_white.jpg

Last edited:
What is the 'wing dance'? And why do they do it? To impress the hens? Someone told me once to NOT let a rooster do "his wing dance around you". So I assumed it was a dominance so of thing.t/y

Quote:
First he stretches both wings out and flaps them several times while stretching his body tall. Then he takes just one wing stretches it really far towards his back and touches it on the ground. You can see all his wing feathers when he does it. Then he repeats with the other wing. The whole time he's clucking a little song.

Yes it's the "well you can tell by the way I use my walk I'm a woman's man no time to talk" action. He's both impressing her and dominating her. If he does it to you look out cause he's about to jump on your back, grab hold and ride. For the 1/60th of a second that it takes him to mate you! Lol!

Apparently he remembered the rebuff of my EE because tonight I was out there treating everyone with ivermectin and after I closed up I saw Foghorn mount my poor little Bandit. I also witnessed Snow White peck at Bandit as Foghorn did the deed. Brutal! Poor thing. I felt so sorry for her. Glad for me because that means I might get some eggs soon!

Back
Top Bottom