Rooster died from a respiratory illness, are the eggs he fertilized safe to eat?

shelneu

Chirping
Apr 26, 2017
NW Oregon
Our rooster died last night from a respiratory illness, unsure which illness he actually had. He was on antibiotics and separated from the flock.. There are no indications that any of our hens are ill. This is the first time we've lost a rooster so wanted to ask if anyone can refer me somewhere to determine if the eggs he'd fertilized are safe to eat? Are they safe to hatch? If they aren't safe to either eat or hatch, does anyone know how long we have to wait until new eggs that are laid are safe again? Thanks much.

Our rooster died last night from a respiratory illness, unsure which illness he actually had. He was on antibiotics and separated from the flock.. There are no indications that any of our hens are ill. This is the first time we've lost a rooster so wanted to ask if anyone can refer me somewhere to determine if the eggs he'd fertilized are safe to eat? Are they safe to hatch? If they aren't safe to either eat or hatch, does anyone know how long we have to wait until new eggs that are laid are safe again? Thanks much.
It would probably depend on what he had. My birds have infectious bronchitis. The vet said it does not go inside the egg, but that the birds could be contagious for 6months and the ground 3 months after that.

If the rest of your flock isn't sick that's not likely what they have though. It's SUPER contagious.

Like @Rose Quartz said it depends on what he had, and the hens could still get it or may have it already but aren’t showing symptoms, yet.

Some illnesses are avian or chicken specific and won’t effect us, others will, like salmonella or avian chlamydiosis both of which does cause respiratory issues.

Back
Top Bottom