Rooster disoriented, spinning, dehydrated, etc.

fanynany

Songster
Aug 22, 2020
Texas
Hello, my rooster who is fenced in and separated from the rest of the roosters went missing for a week, winter storm, didn’t eat, no water, im assuming he was hiding from the other roosters that attack him on sight, he’s dehydrated, disoriented, dry floppy comb, has eye infection?/ injury, tail/feathers down he’s spinning in circles a few times now, skinny ,he can only see out of one eye but i’m worried there’s damage to his head, what can i do? i’ve gave him electrolyte/ vitamin water, eggs w/ meat & his scratch, he is constantly looking for water.

Has he pooped yet at all? What does his crop feel like? He must have gotten some water if he's been missing a week, but I'd only feed him wet mash until you're sure he is rehydrated and is pooping normally. Dehydration can slow or shut down the digestive system among other things. I'd let him drink within reason, though I'm not sure how much water would be too much too fast. I'd start with something like 1/2-1 cup every hour (maybe?) and hope he slows down by himself soon.

If the neurological issue is from an injury to his head I don't think there is much you can do... I'd focus on getting him hydrated and eating.

Has he pooped yet at all? What does his crop feel like?

If the neurological issue is from an injury to his head I don't think there is much you can do... I'd focus on getting him hydrated and eating.
Yes he’s pooped a few times, some runny some hard, his crop feels like it has a little food it in, his eye and that part of his head do seem swollen. He only eats when you bring the food close to his good eye, otherwise he’ll miss completely, and will be monitoring his water.

27F15E82-5D2E-4AD2-9F9C-EC1F2910F936.jpeg

5790AC40-D2F3-43CF-A8B6-60AC346FDB49.jpeg

@Razzlefrazzle

If you have an eye wash or sterile saline solution I'd try rinsing off/out the eye. If you can see his eyeball and there seems to be injury or infection I'd put some terramycin ointment on it. (I think you can also use plain neosporin if that's what you've got.) If there is any yellow pus you need to wash/wipe it out.

he’s dehydrated, disoriented, dry floppy comb, has eye infection?/ injury, tail/feathers down he’s spinning in circles a few times now, skinny ,he can only see out of one eye but i’m worried there’s damage to his head, what can i do?
Apply a warm compress to the eye and see if you can work it open. Terramycin eye ointment or original Neosporin can be dotted onto and into the eye as well. You'll want that eye open so you can see if there's debris or pus that needs to flushed out or if the eye has been lost. Flush with saline, apply your ointment.

He's constantly looking for water. Do give him some electrolytes, but also some plain fresh water.
Possibly the spinning is because of his eye, but he may have suffered some head/neck trauma and is suffering from some neurological damage as well.
Go to CVS, Walmart or similar store, look for Vitamin E and B-Complex in the vitamin aisle.
Give him 400IU Vitamin E and 1/2 tablet B-Complex daily along with a bit of egg or tuna which will help with the uptake of E.

Work on hydration first, then offer him wet feed to eat, I'd limit the scratch for now. Put the water in a bright colored bowl or a chick water station raised up on a block of wood or block. They seem to recognize chick waterers for some reason or bright colors.

Look him over really well for any other wounds or bruising that may be hidden under his feathers, while you're doing that, take note of any lice/mites.
See that his crop is emptying overnight.

Little update, fed him some tuna and eggs, he’s very eager to eat on his own but misses so i assist him by bringing the plate up to him, i wiped down his eye and applied neosporin, his eye looks gray, i’ll try to get some pictures tonight, he’s napping after a nice meal, i examined the rest of his body and everything looks and feels fine but he is just skinny.
Will give him both vitamins once i find them around the house.

Hello, another update, he’s opened up his eye, he’s doing with coordination, but overall doing okay, he still sleeps a lot and still needs a little guidance with his food, i noticed that he will nonstop drink water or eat food until he’s pulled away, but other than that a few days ago he finally sang/crowed a few times in a row and today in the morning as well although he did sound like a teenage rooster would sound like.

Hello, another update, he’s opened up his eye, he’s doing with coordination, but overall doing okay, he still sleeps a lot and still needs a little guidance with his food, i noticed that he will nonstop drink water or eat food until he’s pulled away, but other than that a few days ago he finally sang/crowed a few times in a row and today in the morning as well although he did sound like a teenage rooster would sound like.
Glad he is on the road to recovery. Does his right eye look normal now that it's open or was there damage? Hopefully he'll be able to see his food better now. Is he still going in circles?

Back
Top Bottom