rooster doesn't act much like a rooster

I have a 6 month old rooster like this too. PRetty sure he is a rooster since all his hackle and saddle feathers are coming in. He doesn't seem interested in being a rooster though... I wonder if his problem is the dominant hen thing. I only have 9 chickens, the oldest is 6 months old. No other rooster to tell him what to do, and he does seem lower in the pecking order. Will this change as he gets older or will he ALWAYS be like this? BTW, we have a younger rooster (3 months old) who has already practiced with one of my layers:)

It is possible, just possible that he is not mating them in your sight, which I would prefer anyhow. Have you checked any of the eggs for fertility?
Also, just a low light conditions effect the photo reactive hen and she slows down in fall, roosters are somewhat effected as well. Although, completely going celibate doesn't sound right.

ya my dad has been checking the eggs for me, and the hen house has windows on the east side and a light inside to make sure and i am still collecting 6 eggs a week from each hen

I have a "shy" roo as well... I do NOT want to hijack your thread but this roo prefers the nest box and the exclusive company of another roo.

Some of the boys just didn't read the rule book where it spells out what they are supposed to be like, I guess. If you want to have him father chicks you just might be out of luck there, but otherwise if he is good to the girls and to humans I'd just accept him the way he is.

Back
Top Bottom