Rooster Doesn't Crow

If you have older hens, they will teach a young cockerel some manners. He will learn to approach the hens and pullets politely and not tear them up and overbreed them, yanking their feathers, like a randy young cockerel might do in the absence of older ladies. It also helps, I have found, if the flock has one older rooster who can keep the cockerel from getting too full of himself. In my flock of close to 30, the cockerel had to woo a few young pullets away from the established roo, one or two at a time, and he had to cultivate them to keep them. He now, at seven months, has a loyal following of about seven hens;.he treats them well and they seem happy with him. He is gentle, generous and well-behaved. There is a little posturing between him and the older roo, but no real fights. There is peace in the valley!

If you have older hens, they will teach a young cockerel some manners. He will learn to approach the hens and pullets politely and not tear them up and overbreed them, yanking their feathers, like a randy young cockerel might do in the absence of older ladies. It also helps, I have found, if the flock has one older rooster who can keep the cockerel from getting too full of himself. In my flock of close to 30, the cockerel had to woo a few young pullets away from the established roo, one or two at a time, and he had to cultivate them to keep them. He now, at seven months, has a loyal following of about seven hens;.he treats them well and they seem happy with him. He is gentle, generous and well-behaved. There is a little posturing between him and the older roo, but no real fights. There is peace in the valley!
My 2 older roos get along with Oliver, no problems so far. But the silky, Heart, is really tearing in to my japanese white banty. I've had to alternate days in the time out pen.

I have a 22 week old EE that does not crow. I have seen him mate, but not often. He's actually afraid of the hens who are older. There are a few that chase him. Will he grow up at some point and act like a man?
I'm betting he will. My white Plymouth rock didn't crow until almost 7 months. He was monstrous in size so the hens didn't pick on him.

We like peace in the valley!

My 2 older roos get along with Oliver, no problems so far. But the silky, Heart, is really tearing in to my japanese white banty. I've had to alternate days in the time out pen.
You may need to separate the aggressor in a cage-type dog crate for a few days, but keep it where he can still see the other birds. Of course provide him with food and water and grit. After about three days release him and observe his behavior. If humbled and calm, excellent. If still bullying, return him to the "time-out crate" another couple of days and nights. This causes him to lose his top-bird status in the flock, and hopefully not be such a bully. Good luck!

I have a 22 week old EE that does not crow. I have seen him mate, but not often. He's actually afraid of the hens who are older. There are a few that chase him. Will he grow up at some point and act like a man?
Be careful what you wish for, IMO, if he wants to be a quiet Roo that's a good thing. I have a friend who has a neighbor that has a few chickens and a Rooster. That crazy Rooster never takes a break, all day long he crows and very loudly at that! The Energizer Bunny has nothing on this Bird! :gig

Be careful what you wish for, IMO, if he wants to be a quiet Roo that's a good thing. I have a friend who has a neighbor that has a few chickens and a Rooster. That crazy Rooster never takes a break, all day long he crows and very loudly at that! The Energizer Bunny has nothing on this Bird! :gig
Lol, we had one like that. He was a BJG named Elvis. Sang round the clock and as it happened, we loved it! 😆

Back
Top Bottom