Rooster doesnt like my turkeys

aurajean515

Chirping
Oct 6, 2018
Hey everyone,
I've recently aquired two turkeys. They're still quite young so I can't tell their genders but I'm quite sure ones a tom and ones a hen.
I was expecting them to be A LOT smaller, and figured I could raise them around the chickens so they could get used to them. (And yes I know all about blackhead and I'm taking the necessary precautions.)
I would keep the turkeys in the brooder, but I have small chicks in there and I don't want to risk them getting hurt by the turkeys as they are bigger than my full grown hens!
One of my roosters are not a fan of either of them. He hates them. One of them got scared out of the coop and my rooster chased her into the woods, I searched for her for a while before finding her hiding in a wood pile.
I haven't seen them eat or drink since I got them, (its been a few days.) And they won't come out of the coop unless they're scared out. I'm starting to worry about them. Maybe they'll calm down in time, but turkeys are very new to me. They're behavior is not as similar to chickens as I originally thought they would be.
If anyone has any advice, I'd greatly appreciate it. I want all my bird babies to be happy and healthy.

Turkeys should be housed separately from chickens. They are not behaviorally compatible. Your rooster is doing what he should, which is try to drive out intruders. Set up a separate area or pen for your turkeys. I've had turkeys kill chickens, and harass them when out to range.

Turkeys should be housed separately from chickens. They are not behaviorally compatible. Your rooster is doing what he should, which is try to drive out intruders. Set up a separate area or pen for your turkeys. I've had turkeys kill chickens, and harass them when out to range.
The person I got the turkeys from also had chickens, I'm not worried about them being aggressive. All the research I did on turkeys before getting them said that it is okay to house turkeys and chickens together, and most people I've consulted do keep them in the same coop.

Back
Top Bottom