Rooster doesn't mate?

StephensonC

Songster
5 Years
Oct 14, 2014
Richmond, Va
I have a Japanese Bantam rooster that I've had for 6 months, and I've only ever seen him mate 4 times, and had very few fertile eggs. I have set a few in the incubator and they all come out clear. He is currently in with only 1 hen, which is an EE. At one time, we also had 3 Barred Rocks, and he did mate with them, but I only saw a few times. The fertility of their eggs were hit an miss. Although he is a Bantam, and the hens are a standard size, from what I've seen, the mating process looks successful. Has anyone else had this problem? I'm wanting to get some good hatching eggs, so should I replace this rooster? I know it's not a good idea for only 1 rooster to 1 hen, but I figured he's not mating her anyway. Maybe I should put some more hens with him again and see what happens, since he seemed to like the Barred Rocks much better. Also, could there be something wrong with him?

A couple of things come to mind......How old is he?
Wonder what would happen if you gave him a few bantam hens or hens neared to him in size?
You said you have seen him breed a few times, but often just because you don't see him mating doesn't mean he isn't.
I've had roosters I didn't see breeding all the hens, yet the eggs of those hens were fertile, too (I hatched some.), so breeding was taking place.

Last edited:
I'm not sure his exact age, but I'm thinking somewhere around 14 months. The EE that's in with him, isn't as small as him, but she is a little on the small side for an EE. The 1 time that I saw them 2 mate, she sort of made some "noises". I don't know if maybe he was hurting her, it did seem to last a little longer than most, or if it was because she just isn't used to mating. I have considered putting some Bantam hens in there, but I'm on the fence about hatching bantam eggs. I do have a bantam pullet, but she isn't ready to be in with them yet. I may end up trying that in a few months maybe. He's such a sweet rooster, I hate to get rid of him, without knowing what he might do with other hens.

I have a Japanese Bantam rooster that I've had for 6 months, and I've only ever seen him mate 4 times, and had very few fertile eggs. I have set a few in the incubator and they all come out clear. He is currently in with only 1 hen, which is an EE. At one time, we also had 3 Barred Rocks, and he did mate with them, but I only saw a few times. The fertility of their eggs were hit an miss. Although he is a Bantam, and the hens are a standard size, from what I've seen, the mating process looks successful. Has anyone else had this problem? I'm wanting to get some good hatching eggs, so should I replace this rooster? I know it's not a good idea for only 1 rooster to 1 hen, but I figured he's not mating her anyway. Maybe I should put some more hens with him again and see what happens, since he seemed to like the Barred Rocks much better. Also, could there be something wrong with him?

It is always possible he does not have a high sex drive, he has a favorite hen, or maybe he isn't hitting the right area because of too much fluff near vents. Since he seems to prefer the Barred rocks, you might want to try again with them.

Just a small note- roosters can go temp. infertile in mid summer, or, during molting when they lose their tails.

Back
Top Bottom