Rooster doesn't recognize me if my hood is up

I noticed this with my very first birds. They'd freak out if I had a different jacket on or a hood up. My newer birds (10-13 weeks old) seem to recognize me as the "giant bringing food and water" regardless of what I have on. Maybe because they're with birds I've had for at least 4 years who don't react negatively to me so they go off of them.

Not a chicken rooster- but my eclectus rooster (parrot) hates baseball caps. And my friends serama rooster hates a certain pair of her boots and attacks every time she has them on. Otherwise he’s a sweetie.

My parrot hates baseball caps, too! However, my rooster doesn't recognize me if I wear a hood. Since he has no human aggression what-so-ever, he herds his girls away from me, and mumbles to them. (He's a low talker.) I'll flip back my hood so he can see my face and toss food on the ground. As soon as he sees my face he's fine and cackles to his ladies to start eating. My parrot, however, stays angry that I dared to wear a baseball cap until I offer him The Very Best Treat in The World.

My roo, Darl, was really after my feet yesterday. It was a cold and windy day, so I had my hood up.

Today, it's not as cold, a light breeze. I left my hood down, and he acted like I was "The giant who brings food," which is to say, interested, but ignoring me.

Thinking back on the last couple times he went for my feet, I bet my hood was up. Even though I sing the same "chickie snack" song every time, it seems that the hood confuses him as to who I am. He isn't the sharpest beak in the flock. The girls all know who I am, no matter what I wear. I am willing to forego the hood. I'll try a hat or a headband to see if he recognizes me with those.

I don't want to have to push him away with the Rooster Stick all the time; it seems like an antagonistic thing to do. Chasing to catch and hold him down gets everyone riled up, and with all the clutter in the run, I'm afraid I'd trip and fall. He's fast, I'm slow. And, it didn't seem to work as far as teaching him I'm the boss.

Anyone else experienced a roo reacting to you differently, based on what you're wearing on your head?
Nothing uncommon about this. Nothing stupid about your rooster either.
Simple answer, don't wear your hood.
It's not just roosters who act like this, hens will as well.

My roo, Darl, was really after my feet yesterday. It was a cold and windy day, so I had my hood up.

Today, it's not as cold, a light breeze. I left my hood down, and he acted like I was "The giant who brings food," which is to say, interested, but ignoring me.

Thinking back on the last couple times he went for my feet, I bet my hood was up. Even though I sing the same "chickie snack" song every time, it seems that the hood confuses him as to who I am. He isn't the sharpest beak in the flock. The girls all know who I am, no matter what I wear. I am willing to forego the hood. I'll try a hat or a headband to see if he recognizes me with those.

I don't want to have to push him away with the Rooster Stick all the time; it seems like an antagonistic thing to do. Chasing to catch and hold him down gets everyone riled up, and with all the clutter in the run, I'm afraid I'd trip and fall. He's fast, I'm slow. And, it didn't seem to work as far as teaching him I'm the boss.

Anyone else experienced a roo reacting to you differently, based on what you're wearing on your head?
Nope, my young roo is good about knowing who I am even when I mix it up and wear my insulated overalls, winter boots, hat, scarf, mittens... but I freaked out my horse when I wore a big floppy hat in the summer - once I talked though she knew it was me hahaha!

He likely knows who you are but now you may appear threatening looking - will he take food from you with your hood up?

Nothing uncommon about this. Nothing stupid about your rooster either.
Simple answer, don't wear your hood.
It's not just roosters who act like this, hens will as well.
He's the only one bothered by the hood. The hens and pullets seem to be fine. I think I'll stop wearing the hood and try a hat, see how he reacts.

I realized today that the windbreak I put up around the west side of the run means I don't really need the hood, at least for another 10-15 degree lower temps. :)

Thanks for the input!

Back
Top Bottom