Rooster Doing Something with Tongue?

Gemefraiche

In the Brooder
Jan 3, 2016
My rooster, Roosevelt, does this thing where he opens his beak and wiggles his tongue up and down. He is the only chicken I have seen do that, but I don't know what he's doing. Is it something only roosters do? Is it common?

Gemefraiche

In the Brooder
Jan 3, 2016
He's about three months. He's been doing it maybe for a month or two? It's not like how a dog pants, but a slow up and down motion.

drumstick diva

Still crazy after all these years.
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Aug 26, 2009
Out to pasture
not hookworms He may have gapeworms. You can check by gently swabbing the back of his throat with a q-tip. If it comes out tinged with red or sometimes even the little worms you will have confirmed that. Please check out "gapeworms" in the search box.

He may be trying to crow but, it won't hurt to check his throat with a q-tip

BantamLover21

Crowing
7 Years
Jul 24, 2013
not hookworms He may have gapeworms. You can check by gently swabbing the back of his throat with a q-tip. If it comes out tinged with red or sometimes even the little worms you will have confirmed that. Please check out "gapeworms" in the search box.

He may be trying to crow but, it won't hurt to check his throat with a q-tip
x2

Gemefraiche

In the Brooder
Jan 3, 2016
I haven't swabbed his throat yet. To be honest, I'm a bit scared that I might hurt him. I also noticed two of my pullets doing the same thing with their tongues. Can you give me any advice about how to swab their throats?

Top Bottom