Rooster Doing Something with Tongue?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Gemefraiche, Jan 11, 2016.

1. Gemefraiche

Gemefraiche New Egg

Jan 3, 2016
    My rooster, Roosevelt, does this thing where he opens his beak and wiggles his tongue up and down. He is the only chicken I have seen do that, but I don't know what he's doing. Is it something only roosters do? Is it common?

2. Bridebeliever

Bridebeliever Chillin' With My Peeps

How old is he? How long has he been doing it?

3. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Kind of like a dog panting? My birds do that on warmer than average days. But it could also be a sign of stress or illness.

4. Gemefraiche

Gemefraiche New Egg

Jan 3, 2016
    He's about three months. He's been doing it maybe for a month or two? It's not like how a dog pants, but a slow up and down motion.

5. puffypoo22

puffypoo22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2015
    Massachussetts
    dont roosters do it when they crow or am i making that up?

6. Bridebeliever

Bridebeliever Chillin' With My Peeps

That's why I was asking how old he is. Sounds like practice crowing...with no sound.

7. showinbirds

showinbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2011
    COLUMBUS, KS
    If it looks kinda like he is yawning, he has hook worms. Chickens don't yawn.

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    not hookworms He may have gapeworms. You can check by gently swabbing the back of his throat with a q-tip. If it comes out tinged with red or sometimes even the little worms you will have confirmed that. Please check out "gapeworms" in the search box.

He may be trying to crow but, it won't hurt to check his throat with a q-tip

9. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    x2

10. Gemefraiche

Gemefraiche New Egg

Jan 3, 2016
    I haven't swabbed his throat yet. To be honest, I'm a bit scared that I might hurt him. I also noticed two of my pullets doing the same thing with their tongues. Can you give me any advice about how to swab their throats?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by