rooster down, not responding, not eating, not drinking. is breathing.

ddb maine

Hatching
7 Years
May 24, 2012
Hi noticed two days ago one rooster was keeping to himself. Age approaching 2 mo.
in the corner. Picked him up, he had poor balance, and did a watery green dropping with minimal white. separated him.
Trying to feed and give fluids. Yogurt, chick crumbles, little egg yolk. he has been inside 24hours and was holding steady but now is barely responsive, will not hold himself up only opens eyes halfway if moved quickly. Now begining to breathe out mouth occasionally....

I read other posts where people were having luck with a molasses flush, which I did, followed by lifewater, yogurt etc. Thinking electrolytes.
that was 20hours ago.. not having any luck. I can take videos etc. nothing seemingly wrong with vent. no lice..... no foamy eyes. no blood.
ive been trying to give fluids as I had said but I cant be certain I'm not getting any in his air passage, this morning if it did, he was shake his head with a normal reaction... now... not so much,
If he is a gonner should I just put him down? I dont want to prolong the inevitable and make him suffer.. or am I on a well traveled path.... any insight would be wonderful

have been outside for two weeks now, maybe three. So eating something is a possibility. no inflamed crop

I would treat for cocci ASAP. It is probably too late for him, but at least you tried.

To late indeed.

Thanks for the response though. 13 others are running around the coup and run like madmen and women happy as can be. I now know what to look for next time.

too bad he was one of my two best roosters, or growing up to be...

About cocci, there was never any blood all the way to the end. Is that possible?
Should I be concerned about the others?

Blood in the stools happens only after the cocci has filled the GI system with lesions. Some birds never show this sign. And birds that do have bloody stools often die despite treatment. The damage is too great to heal at that point.

A good rule of thumb is to assume that any bird under 6 months old that suddenly becomes lethargic, puffed up and off-feed has a cocci overload. And if the weather has been particularly/unusually wet then any bird that is under 1.5 years old that shows the same signs probably has a cocci overload.

You need to watch the rest of your flock carefully. Should any others start showing the same signs as the cockerel then I would treat them all. Some birds are more susceptible to showing the effects of cocci overload than others. The others may be fine as a result, but they bear watching.

Sorry for your loss. Good luck with the rest.

From reading online I found there are apparently three different types of cocci infections and different medications to go with each. I a feed supply local and assume they can best point me in a rememdy. Or are there specifics I should know. If there is a thread on this exact topic please point me in that direction.
Thanks

Actually there are many more strains than that. I can't remember off-hand if it is 9 or 12. Corid is effective for them all. I have used Sulmet with good effect because Corid was not readily available in my area when I needed it.

say i encounter this again, and do give corid. Could this have adverse side effects if cocci isnt the issue?

No. And there is no egg withdrawal time either so you won't need to toss any eggs.

Back
Top Bottom