Rooster down. Please help!

Erg. Panting can be overheated, in pain, or having difficulties breathing. If you have or can readily get (as in, soon) Rescue Remedy (most health food stores and even good pharmacies these days), a drop or two in his water wouldn't hurt and may help. They have a pet version now that doesn't have the alcohol base and so doesn't have to be put in water - can put a drop on a piece of watermelon or anything else he'll accept. It's used for helping to relieve stress.
JJ

Rescue Remedy? Never heard of it. We gave him some baby vitamins in his pedialyte. Maybe that will help until I can see the vet or get some of this Rescue Remedy. Would Walmart have it maybe? It's the only place open 24/7 around here. I'm beginning to think this might be Marek's. But he's 2.5 and it affects chicks more than adults, correct?

You can google Rescue Remedy and find some nice info about it. It's one of the Bach flower remedies. I would not anticipate Walmart carrying it.

Since we don't know what's wrong I'm hesitant to suggest pain relief but 1 crushed baby aspirin per cup of drinking water can provide some relief if the reason for panting is pain.
JJ

The panting has stopped. Color is still good. He bupped and clucked when I went to check on him last. If he can hold on til morning.
fl.gif
:fl I'll try to find that Rescue Remedy at our health food store tomorrow..and I'll google it. Thank you for the suggestion!

Fabulous that he stopped panting!!! And that color is good!!

(Rescue Remedy won't likely cure anything but it may help get a living being through a stressful time. Good to have on hand for future in any case....)

JJ

I woke up to hear Danielle's crow this morning!
yippiechickie.gif
He was standing although a bit wobbly. He'll stand for a bit and then squat back down. Color still good, did open mouth breath for a few seconds but calmed down. Right now he's sitting quietly in the cage..I'm going to give him some water and see if he'll eat. Once the vets open, I'll get on the phone and try to get someone to see him.
fl.gif

Many thanks to those who responded and made suggestions!!
bow.gif

The vet thought it might be a soft tissue injury to his foot/leg and to keep an eye on him..that little bugger is 100% now!!
celebrate.gif
He ate, drank and prgerssively got strong enough to be himself again! He also had his spurs trimmed so I'm sure that hellped too! Woohoo!!
wee.gif

Thank you for being there JJ!! You rule!!
bow.gif

Oh I am so glad to hear that!! We have 3 day old chicks and I lost one today. I'm 16 and have/had no idea what to do. She went in about 30 minutes of showing symptoms.

Back
Top Bottom